New Brett Johnson 'Restorers Guide' Discount

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Re: New Brett Johnson 'Restorers Guide' Discount

Post by Dougieboy1 »

got mine, its great - lots of colour photos!

Thanks Ian
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Berny »

Thanks Ian got it yesterday lots to study Regards Berny.
1971 Targa Sportomatic in Green 1972 2.4e sunroof coupe 1990 964 C2 Member no 82
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

Hi All, here is an update for those still not yet received their copies.
I have received and despatched all thirteen copies recieved so far. All are now in their owners hands.
The next batch is due anytime as it was in London Heathrow earlier this week. I will advise you as soon as I have them in my hands.
The final batch is ?????
USPS say it was forwarded from Indianapolis (Brett's mailing point) on the 14th JUNE !!!!!!!!!! Nothing more.

I am doing my best.

USPS has always had a very chequered reputation in my eyes.

Thanks for your patience,

Ian
TimB
DDK slapper chatter

Post by TimB »

Ian

Just received my copy, thanks again for organising.

Cheers
Tim
soulsonicboy
DDK Fanatic

Post by soulsonicboy »

Mine has just arrived too Ian - thanks so much again for organising this - it's a great book and such an improvement on the previous after a quick flick through.
Cheers
Ben
1966 912 Aga Blue
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Also got mine today, thanks Ian
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

I received my copy too. Unfortunately I miss-laid the information required to get into the online photo library. Can anyone point me in the right direction here please ?
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

Hi Angus

If you bought it from Brett direct (TPR) think access is inclusive but maybe still needs to be enabled. If book bought through other channel like Amazon etc I think there is an extra charge. Coincidentally Brett dropped me a line yesterday to say he has added more photos and included some additional paragraphs in this gallery to reflect some editorial changes made to the second printing. There should be something on this link to get access to what you asking about:

https://tpr-inc.com/product/gallery-acc ... ticity-ii/

Steve
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Pure co-incidence but I received my copy today as I’ve been trying to work out with Dr.K exactly where the RHD Durant mirror should go on my (LHD) 2.4S - he’s a great guy and I must have had over a dozen emails with him over the past 24 hours. He also mentioned how useful MRP911 has been to him for the second reprint (unfortunately my copy - from Amazon - was the first reprint however).
'72 T 210 2176 (ex-Hawaii donor car for '72 M491 2.5 SR)
'72 S 230 0347 (two-owner tangerine unicorn)
911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

The round Durant when used around 72 73 had a few nuances. The sales market either the importer or more likely the regulator rules in country affected the equipment and for some details like this the position fitted as norm in that country or region. Customer paid m-options might of course been a factor too. For example regarding vehicle type approval in Sweden seems to have required convex Durant mirror (unlike the more commonly seen round flat Durant). Also Sweden had two mounting bases that were afaik unique part numbers for that Country market. There seem to be two different positions of round Durant pairs and had different m-option numbers. I’m most familiar with RHD single Durant flat on driver-door side part of c16/EG package m. But the nuances afaik affect whether the round Durant are symmetrical or not if in pair circa 72/3. I don’t know if your car original market somewhere with quite niche things like Sweden example but I suggest starting with the original delivery country and any associated equipment “bundle” if you don’t know have any pointers like old mount holes to indicate the likely location of your factory round pair. The country market importer and regulator stuff is quite interesting in the configurations we see on old cars; what individual specified as m-options yet another layer.

HtH

Steve
matteo68
I luv DDK!

Post by matteo68 »

Thanks Steve.

I think the most important thing is to be able to actually see something in the RH mirror from the driver’s seat - Georg told me last year that on a LHD car, the RH mirror when specified as an option was known as a ‘passenger’s mirror’ and was positioned such that the driver couldn’t actually see anything in it, so that’s no good for me. He said he would try the mirror in different positions prior to drilling to be sure that it actually has real safety benefits, otherwise I might as well go back to the single rectangular mirror on the driver’s side that was originally fitted in ‘72.

Matt
hot66

Post by hot66 »

IMHO You don’t need a passenger mirror with lhd car in uk as visibility is so good when looking over your right shoulder ( my 2.4 has no passenger mirror and my 964 does )
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
911MRP
DDK above all

Post by 911MRP »

Makes sense wanting visibility. Are you referring to Brett (Dr J) or
Or Georg (Dr K)? Both have written books with several editions and I’ve had direct dealings on various arcane details and or rare original literature I have as reference about such details with both authors over the years.

Keep us posted on what you figure out. Always keen to learn.

My EG/C16 73 model car has a single flat round Durant that was the norm the market her.
Best
Steve
Last edited by 911MRP on Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
matteo68
I luv DDK!

New Brett Johnson 'Restorers Guide' Discount

Post by matteo68 »

In my last post I was referring to Dr.K, who I am buying the car from (he has spent almost 6 months going through it with the finest of toothcombs and hopefully it will be here next month).

However in my first post I was referring to Dr.J!

Will certainly be happy to share our findings and conclusions.

Matt