Faulty Engine Bay Regulator Plate

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

Porky Scratchings
DDK Fanatic

Faulty Engine Bay Regulator Plate

Post by Porky Scratchings »

Might be useful to someone with a similar problem...

For something like four years I've had a problem with an intermittent miss-fire when the engine has been running for a while and has got to normal temperature. Being intermittent it's been impossible to track down and only happened on a run for a moment, more like a hesitation in the otherwise strong running engine. I tried several carb tunes, timing checks and even a fuel pump change but no good and really put me off a long drive.

Well I gave up towards the end of last year and trailered the car ('74 2.0ltr btw), to Greatworth Classics for Angus to have a look-see with a few other jobs on the list while it was there. All credit to Paul who couldn't replicate the problem in the workshop so took the car home for a longer run. Success!, he experienced the miss-fire, (so I wasn't going mad), and with a bit of luck traced the problem to a fault in the Regulator Plate which carries the fuel pump relay, the relay itself was fine but he suspected a crack or faulty connection in the "circuit board" which moved when it got hot on a run. He wired in a new fuel pump circuit from the mail fuse box and success!

All credit to Paul and Angus for persevering, nothing worse than an intermittent electrical fault.
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Re: Faulty Engine Bay Regulator Plate

Post by middlefour1 »

Good to get that sorted, intermittent problems are a nightmare. I was always very pleased with the work done by Angus, Paul and Adam, a Great(worth) team!!

If any body needs a spare relay board I have one lurking in the garage.
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........