RHD 356A Coupe hand throttle length?

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

roboguy
DDK Fanatic

RHD 356A Coupe hand throttle length?

Post by roboguy »

Hi all,

It's been a while since I posted on here, but now that my car is painted I'm getting back into my restoration. I want to reinstate the hand throttle my car would have originally come with, but would like to confirm the cable length I need. From what I can tell it looks like the 356A used a hand throttle cable of 817mm length. Here's a crazy expensive one from SierraMadre:

https://sierramadrecollection.com/Hand- ... 32229.html

Can anyone confirm is that correct for a RHD A coupe? I'm pretty keen to get the correct one given the cost of these things!

Cheers
James
James Fitzsimons

1957 356A Coupe (RHD)
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Re: RHD 356A Coupe hand throttle length?

Post by simon james »

Hi James.
Is the basic cable the same as a RHD BT6? I appreciate the knob is different on a B to an A.
I’m happy to attempt to measure the one on my car (RHD BT6) if that helps??
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
roboguy
DDK Fanatic

Post by roboguy »

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your offer! Unfortunately I think the A cable length is different to the BT6 as the cable SierraMadre lists for the BT6 is only 660mm long.
https://sierramadrecollection.com/Hand- ... 32231.html

Cheers,
James
James Fitzsimons

1957 356A Coupe (RHD)
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Have you asked PRS if they have one, and if not what the length may be?

Mike posts on here quite a lot and is very helpful

http://www.prs356.com
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Parts manual (you can download a PDF here)

https://www.porsche.com/uk/accessoriesa ... catalogue/

suggests there is not a rhd equiv part (search Accelerator cable). Should have /RL in the remarks column if it's a rhd part

As has been suggested PRS are a rhd authority so worth confirming with them & they may be able to sort you out a sensibly priced original
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

There is not one, that I am aware of that is specific for RHD

However, if you think about the route that a LHD one takes and the Route that the RHD one takes, from the Dash to the Pedal assembly, I do not believe that a specific one is necessary

With all this said. I can remember that, on one car that I worked on, the cable had been extended under the Foot board with a piece of Hex shaped brass bar fitted with 2 x very small grub screws to clamp the long cable and a short extension cable together.
It looked very much like the piece of brass that is in a house-hold Cable joiner.
I replaced it and it worked (this is when you could not buy the part that you are searching for)

One last thing - Sierra M also offer one with a cable length of 850 mm (695 424 031 00) – that is obviously not much different to the the 817 mm but sometimes an extra inch, is all that you are searching for

Have PRS got one ?
Possibly, but the rule these days is that if it is not on the website- we do not have it.
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

'sometimes an extra inch, is all that you are searching for'

I think I may use that as the title of my Autobiography
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
roboguy
DDK Fanatic

Post by roboguy »

Thanks everyone for your replies. I think I'll go with the 817mm cable and assume that there is no difference between the LHD and RHD versions.

Cheers,
James
James Fitzsimons

1957 356A Coupe (RHD)
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

When I had the little four banger in my 356 I rigged up a cable for the throttle because I didn't have any of the stock parts when I got the car. I simply used a rear brake cable from a tandem bicycle, I don't know the exact length but it is certainly uber long. Best of luck.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
marc500
DDK addict

Post by marc500 »

that little brass screwy bit inside a household electrical choc block is an under appreciated item... cut away that insulating plastic and you have yourself a very handy piece of old porsche fixy thing... I know I have them under the back of my 356 and the fact I can't remember why or where means they're still doing whatever job they're there doing (think it was something to do with making the interior heating bits work)