RHD 1972 2.7L Race Car

Porsche Cars classifieds (and DDK'ers other cars that need to go in the pursuit of Porsche Paradise!)

Moderators: Helen, Bootsy

Silver911SC
Married to the DDK

RHD 1972 2.7L Race Car

Post by Silver911SC »

Hi all

I am absolutely gutted to have to sell my dream project, but I’ve recently had a newborn, and firstly I’m not going to have time anytime soon to get it done, secondly my almost fully restored 1988 needs the little time I do find to complete that, and finally I need something I can daily (looking at a 996.1 ideally).

The car is a tired race car in need of work. I will leave it to you to decide on what route you might take, but in short, I guess you could rebuild the engine and possibly drive/track it. Or you could do a full RS or Narrow body restoration and make a six figure car.

Car from factory…

- Original RHD 2.4L Oil-Flap model 911T supplied in Ireland in 1972, before coming over to England in 1976.
- Special order silver, over recaro sports seats (I have a mint set of these to sell separately), no sunroof I don’t believe.
- Various owners over the years, all of which are recorded in the history file from recent records provided by DVLA before they stopped providing this service. So every owners name and address sits in the history folder.

The conversion for racing…

- It's understood the car was then bought in 1999 by Rupert Bullock, who had PARR Motorsport prep the car for racing. Once complete, it was then sold on to it's new owner Liam Dowling, who raced it. At that time the car was run as a 2.4E spec (Liam’s race card also in the file), having had it's original engine upgraded to 2.4E spec. The car also retained it's narrow body at this time. Receipt of work within the history folder.
- The car was then maintained by Barry Whelan in Ireland and Bob Watson. Bob Watson went on to upgrade the cars original engine to 2.7 RS spec, with a dyno in the history file showing 250bhp at the time. The engine number on the fan mount suffered a bit of damage during the build I believe, but you can still make out the middle numbers, validating it's still the numbers matching engine (can possibly reveal all of them with a bit of work). I expect you can revert to 2.4 spec should you wish. A receipt for the Bob Watson 2.7 build is included in the history file.
- A some point, to match the 250bhp and need for wider wheels, the car also received fibreglass RS arches (bonded over slightly cut back original steel, as well as fibreglass front wings, bonnet, front bumper, rear bumper and ducktail.

So what happened next....

- The car was raced by Liam Dowling and there are various race results in the history file, including beating many 3.0 SC's in its class. It did a few hillclimbs before being rested up.
- I bought the car in 2020 via DDK (and was over the moon). I started work to get it back on the road, for a bit of fun before a full restoration; so new discs, pads, callipers. New front and rear light units, new battery, plugs and some other small jobs. It then went in for a rebuild but the garage got too busy during lockdown to do the rebuild, so it just sat until now.

What kind of condition is it in…

- It’s been raced hard and other than some suitable repairs to continue racing, it’s not had any major new metalwork since PARR first prepped it, I don’t believe.
- Most notable impact is drivers side rear quarter, which functions perfectly fine, but you would do as part of a fuller resto. Panels gaps are also as you’d expect of a used race car.
- I was going to get Barry to do a full resto and he expected about £25k of bodywork plus panels.
- Engine is not happy and needs rebuilding. So it would start and drive, but I don’t want to do it any harm, so aside from turning it over for the potential buyer (I do have a video of this), I’m not looking to run test drives - hopefully the right buyer understands, and is happy to buy it for the project it is.

Comes with an inch of history in a nice ringbinder. The history is from the 1999 PARR race prep onward, plus there is a copy of each owner from the dvla in there. There is also a colour printout of the CoA. There are also lot is colour photos included, and a back up of files on usb.

Price or px…

- I am after £39k via DKK which is what I have in to it. No Offers I’m afraid. Will give it a couple of weeks to gauge any ddk interest and then list elsewhere for a little more. Do PM me if interested.
- Would consider a px for a manual C2 996.1 or swap car plus all parts (inc recaro sports seats) for a 964 or 993. In short I need something I can daily with the newborn, but doesn’t need to be perfect.
- PM me any interest and I can share a lot of photos.
- Car is located in Surrey.
- Can arrange delivery if needed.

Parts for sale separately…

- I also have a lot of near mint condition or excellent condition parts, that I will offer first dibs to the buyer to buy separately. If they’re not of interest, I will list on here another time. They include: mint recaro sports seats, mint rear seats, excellent 4 door pockets, great drivers armrest, great original s bumper (needs a bit of metal), and some other bits.

Thank you for reading. Any questions please do ask.
Attachments
8E0D674C-9EA3-447C-8B95-D9E2F29D6805.jpeg
200B9E0B-6CEA-4FA6-B661-9EC0D17E2227.jpeg
50EE22DD-7332-442D-A654-A37CB48D921C.jpeg
Last edited by Silver911SC on Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1966 RHD 911 Restoration Project
1988 RHD 3.2 Carrera fully restored with 200k miles
1999 RHD X51 with Factory Recaro Bucket Seats
Silver911SC
Married to the DDK

Re: RHD 1972 2.7L Race Car

Post by Silver911SC »

More photos
Attachments
0259B3F5-6FC0-4650-AF79-26E1BD14FEDF.jpeg
A55FB644-E254-4A5C-811E-CDFD0261D070.jpeg
9D24ED3E-E9D6-4E8C-B7CA-19B1383F298B.jpeg