Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Re: Burnt Pig - 356 Pre a Build Thread

Post by Bootsy »

Good to hear you're still making some progress
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Boydyrs
DDK forever

Post by Boydyrs »

Is there any update on progress on this fine car?
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Yep, nearly there now, all painted and currently waiting for the interior to be done....ImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Looking great

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Boydyrs
DDK forever

Post by Boydyrs »

Would be good to read final write up of progress, pit falls and wins as about to start similar process.
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

OK will give an update on the bits I have done since last post next week....but been busy with this so no time for writing up progressImageImageImage

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Both look fantastic, great collection. Look forward to pics of the 356 interior. What is the engine in the bug?
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

2 litre turbo type 1 engine with mexibug central throttle body and end castings high capacity injectors and an Emerald ECU. Charge cooler and reasonable sized turbo... is running about 130 BHP but more to come...

Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Awesome - must fly

Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

OK, so here it what I have been up to on the project since I last updated it...will add in a bunch of photos direct from my phone as it seems to be easier to do it that way now than to upload photos to FLIKR and then link them here.

I fitted back seats with a few home made aluminium brackets, these were original 356 seats that were not in great condition purchsed from EBAY but as they were destined to being recovered and the structures were sound it didnt matter too much. I also fitted a Kenwood Underseat Sub behind the rear seats to enhance the bass of the Stereo, which is much better now. I also swapped out the Pure DAB redio as the DAB radio reception was terrible and have now gone with a JL Audio Bluetooth reciever and will link to radio and music player apps on my phone... this is the way to go with modern sounds in my opinion.

I got my beautiful Red Porsche space savers powdercoated in satin black and spent a winters afternoon colouring in the tyre letters in lime green that gives you some kind of a view as to the colour accents I have for the interior.

I got Rich Maxwel MADMAX on here to make me some drilled rear screen retainer bars.... not that I expect to be doing over 100 MPH IN the car but just for looks.... FItted these and really like the look of them....

I decided at this point I Was not going to persue the boday bumpers like on the old 356 Pre A's as it was too much work, so I got a fresh set of fiberglass bumpers from Speedster Clinic to be fitted as part of the Body prep phase...

It was at about this point that I started my Oval beetle project in earnest...This project was largely outsourced to Goose (Worked for Chesil for arround 20 years) after Chesil went bust and he did a great job of dry building the Oval with all of the parts I had collected, then taking it all apart and powder coating everything whilst the Body was painted by Ben MItchell - now of Mitchell Motors in Chard. The project came back to me as an unwired and fully assembled car but had not been run apart for t he cam burn in on the engine which was done without the turbo and Electronic ignition. It has basically taken me a year now to get the wiring sorted and complete about 200 small tasks on this project till it is where it is today as a running and driving car with almost everything completed with the exception of the Interior. That has to wait now till the 356 interior is done before it gets any more time and money spent on it.

Anyway back to the 356.... once I was happy that the major components of the car were together then I booked the car in with Ben Mitchell - Mitchell Motors Chard who had painted my beetle to do the body prep, final fit everything and fit the bumpers. There was a significant ammount of prep as I wanted a really good finish on the car as I was still going to paint the car Satin Grey and to get that to look good then the body needed to be 100% flat. I must say Ben is a perfectionist and the hours he put in really shows in the final finish.

Ben FInished painting the car in June and the car went from there directly to Steve Bowls who is doing the interior. Unfortunately with steves workload he is not able to start the interior till mid Septeber 2023 and he thinks it will take a couple of moths to complete a full trim including headlining, carpets, and a full leather retrim of seats, doorcards, and all of the other interior panels....

PLease see post below for lots of photos from the point of my last post. I have really skimmed over some of the detail so if you see anything in the pictures you have questions on then please ask and happy to post the details.....

Dont worry this project WILL get finished, and hopefully by end of 2023 it will have passed its IVA test and be on the road for 2024.....
Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

New steering wheel for post IVA, think this will be the only change I will make post IVA.....

Couple of photos of the car in my newly built double garage at home...

The rear window restraints fitted...

The trim going from chrome to satin black....

Under seat sub mounted behind the rear seats...

Off to paint shop...ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

A few quick photoshops by my daughter as I did have a wobble on what colour to paint the car... the porsche lime green was a very close second...ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Trim all black...

Let the body prep begin...

Had Ben round the tops of the headlights so was much closer to the profile of a real Pre A 356...

Gutters looking really good. Thanks to Nigel for the special sanding blocks he leant me that helped significantly with the shape...

Ben remade the door inner as with all of the work that had been done to get the door to fit well he was not happy with the strength so made a new inner door frame that adds a significant amount of strength back into the doors...ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Further work on the wing top profile...

More filling fitting and sanding...

Bumpers, note very close fit to car and extended rear profile to give a linger bumper that was my compromise to not having body bumpers...ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Robneal
DDK above all

Post by Robneal »

Reprofiling B pillars and rear quater window fitting...

Front windscreen profile fitting...ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage