Registering a car for the first time.

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

WRC_1S
DDK addict

Registering a car for the first time.

Post by WRC_1S »

Hi. My 1969T was imported from California earlier this year. I have the Nova form for it showing customs tax etc all paid. Having had a search on Gov.Uk I've seen that I need to complete the V55-5 form. My question is has anyone done this recently as there seems an awful lot of the form is N/A to me but it clearly states incomplete forms will be rejected. Anyone give any helpful tips? Many thanks. Wayne.
Wayne :)

I obviously like rust!

1969 911T
2022 RWD Chalk Grey Taycan (delivery due now May 2022 meh!)
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Registering a car for the first time.

Post by Nine One One »

This should help you, quite a few have done this recently

https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =nova+dvla
WRC_1S
DDK addict

Post by WRC_1S »

Nine One One wrote:This should help you, quite a few have done this recently

https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... =nova+dvla
Brilliant thanks for that. Really useful thread. :)

I obviously like rust!

1969 911T
Ignatzcatz
I luv DDK!

Post by Ignatzcatz »

When I got around to registering my 356 I had no papers for it not even a NOVA and no record of when it came into the country or how or when. However the authorities were helpful and after receiving the NOVA documentation which I'm sure helped as the car was an oldie - '62 I then was confronted with the V55 to complete which asks for a load of questions that I just did not have the answers to. I recall speaking to a nice lady in Swansea who said just fill in what you know so I complied with this and submitted the other required documents and in time that little brown envelope popped through the letterbox with the V5 enclosed. Joy, legal. So do what you can and I'm sure it will come good, with your NOVA to hand you are already halfway there.
Porsche 356B T6 (modified), Porsche Macan Turbo , Porsche SSE, Dax 289 Cobra, Buell S2 Thunderbolt, Honda ST 70/125, Harley Davidson custom evo softail
WRC_1S
DDK addict

Post by WRC_1S »

Ignatzcatz wrote:When I got around to registering my 356 I had no papers for it not even a NOVA and no record of when it came into the country or how or when. However the authorities were helpful and after receiving the NOVA documentation which I'm sure helped as the car was an oldie - '62 I then was confronted with the V55 to complete which asks for a load of questions that I just did not have the answers to. I recall speaking to a nice lady in Swansea who said just fill in what you know so I complied with this and submitted the other required documents and in time that little brown envelope popped through the letterbox with the V5 enclosed. Joy, legal. So do what you can and I'm sure it will come good, with your NOVA to hand you are already halfway there.
Thanks mate that's midly reassuring :)

I obviously like rust!

1969 911T
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

FWIW I get the distinct feeling that beeing super-polite and courteous with DVLA gets results. After a very long wait for one import, on the second one, I included a letter sympathising with their recent industrial action and wished them a speedy resolution because we all deserve a safe place in which to work. Total result - papers came back in about a quarter of the time.
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
WRC_1S
DDK addict

Post by WRC_1S »

RobFrost wrote:FWIW I get the distinct feeling that beeing super-polite and courteous with DVLA gets results. After a very long wait for one import, on the second one, I included a letter sympathising with their recent industrial action and wished them a speedy resolution because we all deserve a safe place in which to work. Total result - papers came back in about a quarter of the time.
Oh yes definitely agree with this in general. Whenever I have to write, unless it's to kick off, I always try to be as courteous as possible. Manner cost nothing but can give you a lot in return.

I obviously like rust!

1969 911T
WRC_1S
DDK addict

Post by WRC_1S »

I've got a decent about of time off over Christmas so I intend to sort it all then.

I obviously like rust!

1969 911T
H120
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by H120 »

Just been through the process with a few cars I've recently imported - it's very straightforward, a lot of the V55/5 questions are N/A and you don't need to send a copy of the NOVA docs - as long as it's in the system they'll find it. I also provide a V112 MOT exemption form for good measure along with my $55 cheque. It took ~4 weeks for them to process and send me the V5's.

One application was rejected - they sent a nice personal note explaining the reason: The California title lists only the "year 1st sold" as 1966, the "Yr/model" field is blank (should be 1967). They request "alternative dating" for them to allocate an appropriate age related mark. I don't have a COA for this one so I'll need to figure out what to send them in the nice referenced and addressed return envelope they kindly provided.
WRC_1S
DDK addict

Post by WRC_1S »

H120 wrote:Just been through the process with a few cars I've recently imported - it's very straightforward, a lot of the V55/5 questions are N/A and you don't need to send a copy of the NOVA docs - as long as it's in the system they'll find it. I also provide a V112 MOT exemption form for good measure along with my $55 cheque. It took ~4 weeks for them to process and send me the V5's.

One application was rejected - they sent a nice personal note explaining the reason: The California title lists only the "year 1st sold" as 1966, the "Yr/model" field is blank (should be 1967). They request "alternative dating" for them to allocate an appropriate age related mark. I don't have a COA for this one so I'll need to figure out what to send them in the nice referenced and addressed return envelope they kindly provided.
Thats great to hear thank you. I'll be doing over the Christmas break. Just Need to get work out of the way first.

I obviously like rust!

1969 911T
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

H120 wrote:Just been through the process with a few cars I've recently imported - it's very straightforward, a lot of the V55/5 questions are N/A and you don't need to send a copy of the NOVA docs - as long as it's in the system they'll find it. I also provide a V112 MOT exemption form for good measure along with my $55 cheque. It took ~4 weeks for them to process and send me the V5's.

If it were a 911 the vin would indicate the year. Hopefully you have similar options for the car in question.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
H120
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by H120 »

Yes, it's a 912 - DVLA stipulate that "date of manufacture evidence must come from the vehicle manufacturer" (if the manufacturer is still in existence). A COA would have worked just fine - I wish Porsche still provided them. I figure I'll have to write and ask them for a letter confirming the year of manufacture.