Fifty shades of steingrau

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Fifty shades of steingrau

Post by inaglasshouse »

jeremyg wrote:We’ll done Richard - glad you found the car you wanted. Sounds like it’s been ‘well bought’ too. Settle back and enjoy it!
Thanks Jeremy. I went "my first 356", not "buy the best"... despite knowing from experience that buying a car like yours, which has been very properly done, is much less heartache in the end!
I hope yours goes to a good home, and that you reinvest in something equally lovely.
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

inaglasshouse wrote:Thanks all.

Initial plans? Well, I’ve never owned a 356, and this one works as-is, so start by driving it around to see if I like it. I’m grateful to have the opportunity. In this case the man maths says this car was decent value, so if I do decide to make a swift exit, it “shouldn’t” be too ruinous.
Have you had any opportunities to drive it Richard ?

If so, what are your initial feelings ?

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Lightweight_911 wrote:
inaglasshouse wrote:Thanks all.

Initial plans? Well, I’ve never owned a 356, and this one works as-is, so start by driving it around to see if I like it. I’m grateful to have the opportunity. In this case the man maths says this car was decent value, so if I do decide to make a swift exit, it “shouldn’t” be too ruinous.
Have you had any opportunities to drive it Richard ?

If so, what are your initial feelings ?

Hi Andy

I'm finding the 356 very endearing, thanks for asking.

The previous owner had done very few miles, having a few years back decided to spend money on it but more recently ... COVID related business downturn... decided to sell. For example the engine only had about 100 miles post rebuild when I got it.
So plenty of minor snagging to do, and I've been driving around and fettling a few things. Mostly electrical and fuelling related, adjustments to linkages etc, and a few cosmetics. All very satisfying and simple.

Initial feelings?
Let's split that into two parts.

1) As an object
It's just a lovely, lovely thing. Very solid, 50s details, shape, colour, cool factor, rarity. Looks excellent in the garage next to a 911. Very nice to work on - quality and engineering evident everywhere. So charmingly simple, makes an early 911 look complex and a 993 look like the space shuttle.

2) As an actual car to, you know, drive….
I am pleasantly surprised, so far. With 75bhp (if you’re lucky) it’s dog slow, obviously, by any sensible standards. It won’t be going on a track day any time soon, and for a 6am Sunday blast something quicker is always going to be preferable.
But I like to use the oldies whenever possible, including for boring errands and school runs etc. When, honestly, all you’re going to do today is 30 miles on A and B roads with traffic, lots of 40 limits, bad sight lines (Surrey = trees and corners), bumps (Surrey = 3rd world standards of road surface)… how many times is a GT3, or even a 2.2S, going to see the upper part of the rev range? To potter around in, it’s great.
Practical matters: keeps up with the traffic fine. Rides well (see bumps comment); comfy but quite well controlled. Heating doesn’t work - need to investigate. Brakes good enough, despite being drums, but need more use then some fettling. Lights quite decent now swapped for LEDs. Wipers and washer system not great….
Overall very usable.

I guess it’s another of those “nice old thing” cars.
Respectable looking, mostly period correct with patina (not been apart, doesn’t feel “restored”), so quite scruffy when you get close up. Meaning you don’t worry about taking it out, or about losing your shirt when you sell it.
It makes the orange car (2.2S) look fantastic in terms of performance, but also reminds me that the orange car is a bit too shiny (and maybe even a bit too valuable?) for my tastes. Need to get that one some stone chips, I think!

How's that green alfa of yours? Sold?

Cheers, Richard.

Last edited by inaglasshouse on Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

Thanks for the update Richard - glad to hear that you're enjoying using it.

It's a great looking car ... 8)

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

So, are you going to buy a 356, Andy?
sng45
DDK rules my life!

Post by sng45 »

I've had quite a lot of 356's ( seventeen I think ) A's , B's , C's , Speedsters , Outlaws ( including Andy's white one ) and I think the comment that sums it up for me appeared in the 356 Registry Magazine.....

"It's more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow "

They always take some time to get used to, the more you drive it the more you'll enjoy it.

Just remember to start braking about five minutes before you actually need to stop !

Hope you enjoy it, drive safely.

Steve