A Dream Fulfilled - MY 904FF

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

Kirklands 904
DDK Fanatic

Re: A Dream Fulfilled - MY 904FF

Post by Kirklands 904 »

JW, saw the photos on Laura's phone on Saturday. Keep at it and see you in August!
Bill

904FF (Mike Bainbridge 2.4S engine and transmission)

I am hoping that I'll die before I grow up!
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

Kirklands 904 wrote:Well, here we are back again.

I am back in Scotland after the first outing of the 904FF at Shelsley Walsh which did not go entirely to plan. In fact it was a bloody disaster.

I had two major problems

1) the engine would not go properly and the Dellortos kept flooding and in fact at one point the engine hydraulicced and we gave ourselves a petrol shower clearing it with the plugs removed. I have left the car in the Midlands with Aldon (Alan Goodwin) to sort it out on his rolling road.

2) the gear change was hopeless. I tried to use the original 914 linkage with the tail shift 901 box but it did not allow me to find the gears and I when one was found I was never sure what it was. It could be reverse, second or fourth or alternatively first, third or fifth. I must express my appreciation to Jonathon Williamson who battled manfully with Walter to try and adjust the linkage to give first and second/third so that I got one run up the hill ( very slowly I may add with a misfiring engine and missed gears)
I am now appealing for help - a chap approached me and told me he had put a cable change system on the tail shift 901 box in a replica he had built and promised he would send me details of the company who provided the kit. I have not heard from him (probably a mix up on email addresses) so I am wondering if anyone knows of this company or kit or alternatively have any drawing or pictures of a cable change for the 901 box. I have found on sit on the internet etischer.com which shows a DIY solution but would be grateful for any further advice and assistance.
I'm loving reading this build a few years on. By the way, that sounds like a normal 901 gearchange.

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Kirklands 904
DDK Fanatic

Post by Kirklands 904 »

Glad that you are enjoying the saga of the FF. The season finished at Shelsley Walsh in September when my pal Jim Payne was able to share the car with me after two years fighting bowel cancer and the necessary chemo. All through the black days he had the dream of competing at Shelsley after his 80th birthday. He made it and was able to get under 40secs. Between us we had 162 years pedalling the car that weekend and decided if we were spared during the winter we would have a full season next year!

Roll on 2022!

P.S. We now have a side shift box but still with the dog leg first. There is a lock out for reverse and for the fourth and fifth plane. In other words we are running a three speed at Shelsley.
Bill

jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Well done Bill and Jim! Looking forward to next year as well, and meeting up for a pint or two in the evening sunshine, and plenty of banter!
Cheers!
JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Poor gearchanges, story of my mid engined Lola.

It is very hard to get a reliable accurate fast shift on my 915 tail shift.
I am throwing ££££ at it and have just finished getting as much free play and friction out of the 3 joints and gear lever pivot.
I hole the shiftgate from WEVO will help...cost a fortune.

3 gears for Shelsley sounds hard going Bill, but not sure what your red line is.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Kirklands 904
DDK Fanatic

Post by Kirklands 904 »

Red line set at 7,000. We are not changing down for the esses and the engine has just enough torque to pull us through in third. With young Olly driving and changing into second, his esse sector time is only a few hundredths quicker. It's a lot simpler for us old codgers not having to worry about a gear change going into bottom esse.
Bill

jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Well done Bill! That must be bum-clenching going in to bottom "S" in third! I have tried it a few times in the past, and found myself with too much to do in between the S's. I guess that your gear selection problems are largely over now with the side-shifter box?
We only use three gears at Shelsley as well. It works quite well now that we have gone back to a standard 3rd gear, we don't hit the rev limiter over the finish. That obviously means that we need more power, which will (one day!!!!) start the gearing/revs cycle all over again! :shock:

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)