O/T treadmill broken

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

dogbower
DDK forever

O/T treadmill broken

Post by dogbower »

The wife’s treadmill has stopped working, as it weighs a ton, and nearly killed me getting it in the house, even in bits, I’d like to mend it.
I’ve had a poke around inside, and a transformer is making a clonk when power is turned on.
So with my in depth knowledge I have diagnosed that that’s what’s at fault.
However I have no knowledge as to what I’m looking for, the part number brings up no matches.
The sticker on it just confuses me.
So what am I looking for, any pointers as to where I might get one?

Thanks Stuart
1971 911E
1990 986S
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Re: O/T treadmill broken

Post by PeterK »

Whilst normally silent, a transformer can make a clunk as power energises the electromagnet and the metal plates inside shuffle together.

It is a 240v input, 120v 3 A output transformer. Before buying a replacement, check the output.
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
dogbower
DDK forever

Post by dogbower »

PeterK wrote:Whilst normally silent, a transformer can make a clunk as power energises the electromagnet and the metal plates inside shuffle together.

It is a 240v input, 120v 3 A output transformer. Before buying a replacement, check the output.
Thanks, it just had me a bit confused with all the different voltages, 100,120,200,230, and 240?
1971 911E
1990 986S
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

May I ask how can you check the output on a 100v AC? I'm not taking the p155 but I'm happy to put a multi meter on 12v DC but AC scares me

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

That spec of transformer is not going to be easily found, or cheap. Most will be 240 to 115 (there is one on RS components 500VA for £127.52 plus shipping probably). Might be time to trade her in :P

@Neil - AC (RMS) can be checked using any old or modern multimeter, set to ~AC. One ten is regarded as the lethal DC or RMS voltage so best left to a pro, but it is done by simply probing across the winding connections while turned on. Typically, we only do this to check that it is actually turned off :bounce:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
Sam

Post by Sam »

115v is near enough isn’t it? Would the motor blow up over such a small difference?
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

deano wrote:That spec of transformer is not going to be easily found, or cheap. Most will be 240 to 115 (there is one on RS components 500VA for £127.52 plus shipping probably). Might be time to trade her in :P
:
Just to be clear - the wife or the treadmill :lol:
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Doubt it’s the transformer. Did you measure the output? Has it blown the fuse?

I’d be more suspicious of any protection circuits like limit switches.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

PeterK wrote:
deano wrote:That spec of transformer is not going to be easily found, or cheap. Most will be 240 to 115 (there is one on RS components 500VA for £127.52 plus shipping probably). Might be time to trade her in Image
:
Just to be clear - the wife or the treadmill Image
Similar pronoun but many thousands of pounds difference

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

dogbower wrote:The wife’s treadmill has stopped working, as it weighs a ton, and nearly killed me getting it in the house, even in bits, I’d like to mend it.
I’ve had a poke around inside, and a transformer is making a clonk when power is turned on.
So with my in depth knowledge I have diagnosed that that’s what’s at fault.
However I have no knowledge as to what I’m looking for, the part number brings up no matches.
The sticker on it just confuses me.
So what am I looking for, any pointers as to where I might get one?

Thanks Stuart
See if you have a local REWINDS company. They typically rewind large, expensive, motors and generators but if you go there cap in hand and talk to the right person and get lucky they might do you a cheap favour for cash. E.g. these guys do transformer rewinds: https://www.rbaker.co.uk/services/singl ... nsformers/
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

.... but before you do anything or spend any money, check whether the transformer is actually at fault. If you're not confident, find someone who is to check what (if any) output you have from the transformer. They don't often fail.
RobFrost
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by RobFrost »

P.S. assuming you have a multimeter you need to identify which terminals are two ends of the same wire and determine whether any such pairs have infinite resistance between them. If broken, you will almost certainly find such a phenomenon.

A transformer is a big electromagnet and when you connect the power you charge it up with electromagnetism. This causes actual mechanical tension and compression within the transformer. The clunk is just the windings, core and case moving under this force so wouldn't normally be taken as an indication of a defect.

I haven't watched this but it probably shows how to test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0OQvuux6CE
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
dogbower
DDK forever

Post by dogbower »

Thanks for the replies, I’ve sourced a complete power unit including the transformer for £50!
If that doesn’t work it’s time for a new one, treadmill that is not the wife!
1971 911E
1990 986S
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

dogbower wrote:Thanks for the replies, I’ve sourced a complete power unit including the transformer for £50!
If that doesn’t work it’s time for a new one, treadmill that is not the wife!
Double bubble - trade the wife in too but it may cost you more than £50 for a replacement
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Sam

Post by Sam »

Any pics? I might be interested if you do decide to get a new one.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.