Tyres

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

domtoni
DDK forever

Tyres

Post by domtoni »

Would appreciate your thoughts on this one.

I wish to have my Fuchs wheels refurbed (15 inch on the car now), and the original 14 inch set has tyres which are from around 2000.

Rather than doing the job myself, I'd use my local tyre shop which is about 5 miles away, and the speeds from the shop home are not exceeding 40 mph.

My guess is the tyre pressures are low now, and hence need more pressure.

Do I risk a blow out or other tyre damage if I drive the car from the tyre shop home and then back once the wheels are refurbed?

thanks
domtoni
1969 911E
ER Polybronze bushings, turbo tie rod ends, and 21/26mm torsion bars
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Re: Tyres

Post by Dougieboy1 »

I would think it is impossible to say if they are good or not based on the limited info provided.

Think about their age, condition, how and where they have been stored, what sort of life they have lived. Has the rubber gone hard, are the tyre walls cracked, have they been left flat with the vehicle weight on them

I have cars which have got 10+ year old tyres but they are stored out of sunlight so the rubber is not cracked or hard, they are on tyre 'trainers' so there are no flat spots, not driven in adverse weather conditions or on gravel etc. I realise received wisdom is for 10 years max but that is tyres on cars outdoors used every day in all weathers.

Not sure that helps. The obvious solution is use another car to get the 15" wheels to where they need to go. I dont know how you will get five of them inside a 911 anyway....
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
domtoni
DDK forever

Re: Tyres

Post by domtoni »

No problem, I checked with an old mate who was a chassis engineer at a major car company, and bounced the idea of a Porsche friend. Both thought the tyres would be OK under the conditions.

The tyres are stored off the car in my garage. I think they may get a bit of sunlight as they are not far from a window, but I think they should be OK.
domtoni
1969 911E
ER Polybronze bushings, turbo tie rod ends, and 21/26mm torsion bars