Porsche Classic Oil

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

domtoni
DDK forever

Porsche Classic Oil

Post by domtoni »

I was at Goodwood over the weekend, and spoke to the Porsche Classic people. My car has a few small leaks, and some oil has found its way into the SSI left hand side heat exchanger. Result, some smoke around left hand turns.

The Porsche chap said that if I used his oil, the oil leak may cease. To me it sounds like BS.

Just wondered what peoples experience is.
domtoni
1969 911E
ER Polybronze bushings, turbo tie rod ends, and 21/26mm torsion bars
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Porsche Classic Oil

Post by KS »

If you’re currently using synthetic oil then he has a point. Synthetics can find their way past seals, or through crankcase halves. Mineral oils are less prone to do so.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
domtoni
DDK forever

Post by domtoni »

I won't run synthetic or semi in the 1969 car. Its currently running on Valvoline 20-50 race oil.
domtoni
1969 911E
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Exactly what happened to me years ago. Used Mobil 1 in my 70K mile 3.2 engine in my 911 and had several leaks where there were none before using Shell semi synthetic.
Bob Watson said drain it, clean the oil away and use the Shell, and no leaks. Used the same oil now for 20+ years, no leaks, engine at 140+ K miles.
Won't fix leaky lower rocker cover leaks by magic, you need silicon beaded gaskets and lots of care for that.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
domtoni
DDK forever

Post by domtoni »

The leak isn't from the rocker covers, its from the left hand side head to engine casing joint. Back in the dark ages, in my 1971 Capri (1.6 crossflow kent engine), I tried Mobile 1, and it was a disaster. Burned oil like a steam engine burns coal. So I won't even consider a semi or full synthetic oil.

But in the Capri, I had a small radiator leak and a chemical I added did seal the leak. Shortly thereafter I replaced the radiator, so can't say how long it would have lasted.

But a thought on the Porsche classic oil, if it seals small engine leaks, will it start to block any oil passageways in the engine itself?
domtoni
1969 911E
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I run full Synthetic in both my engines and have no leaks

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
majordad
I luv DDK!

Post by majordad »

One advantage that Porsche AG claim for their Classic Oil is that it’s designed for engines that are infrequently started as many Classic 911s are weekend cars.
1972 2.4S, since 1988
993 RSR Cup
73 RS Rep Race
2018 GT3RS Lizard