Ex- Mexborough Wide Bodied Monster!....

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Ex- Mexborough Wide Bodied Monster!....

Post by Darren65 »

I called in to see Nick Fulljames this week to talk engines and whilst there was invited to have a drive of this.....

....I've never driven a wide bodied early 911 before, let alone one pumping out over 300HP and boy was it quick with colossal torque, I've never been so fast at 4K revs in my life! :shock: .....

.....it gave me a taste of what I hope will come and I have to say the future fills me with both fear and excitement! 8)

The car is about to be advertised for sale by one of Nick's customer's and, without any affiliation, I offered to put it up for discussion here prior to it being advertised.....the least I could do given the fun I'd had :)

Based on a G-series 1974 911S, I understand the car was commissioned by Lord Mexborough to be built into a 3.0RS by Josh Sadler at Autofarm (originally red in the mag above) and developed into a hill climb car that competed successfully and was once campaigned by Bob Mortimer.....anyone here know the car?

Although very much a historied race car and not cosmetically perfect, the car appears very solid, has been previously restored by AM Cars (details here https://www.amcarsquattro.co.uk/project ... arrera-rs/ ) and most importantly has all the right bits with a monster 3.5 litre hill climb spec engine, competition gearbox, short rear arms, 930 brakes, RS seats and much, much more.....it could easily go straight back to competition although wouldn't take a lot of work to freshen it up, add some carpet etc and make it an awesome road car.....

.....no doubt I've only scratched the surface of this cars history and specification and it comes with a whole stack of history, magazine articles and invoices etc that's well worth looking into if you're in the market for this type of car.........I understand the price will be in the region of £120K, if interested please contact Nick Fulljames on 07799 855911 who will put you in touch with the seller.

Cheers,
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Re: Ex- Mexborough Wide Bodied Monster!....

Post by rhd racer »

Yes, Paul, JW, Ian M and Ian W, I plus others know the car rather well Darren. It is an awesome thing, have competed with it since 2003, thankfully always in a different class so not against it :lol:

Bob was an awesome driver, and his son Mark pretty handy too. I am pretty sure the rear arches have been replaced / reprofiled, and a few other changes, but some of that might be an optical illusion given we always saw it nose down and on slicks….

Bet it was fun on the road!!!
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

rhd racer wrote:Bet it was fun on the road!!!
....absolutely! 8)

I only had a brief drive and not knowing the car/tyres etc I was a little tentative but would have loved to spend a couple of hours on the road, or better still on track.....it felt incredibly strong and so quick, I'm told it keeps pulling like that all the way to 8K revs!!!

Far lighter feel than I was expecting too which bodes well for my project....the hill climb gears have been swapped for more road friendly ratios although told they come with the car, apparently pulls to 60MPH in 1st!!! 8)

All heady stuff! :drunken:

Cheers,
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

I was asked a couple of questions about this car, specifically regarding the engine spec which I've obtained and listed below. Both built by Nick Fulljames.......other than a brief drive and details I previously posted I don't know much more but If anyone is interested please contact Nick who will happily put you in touch with the seller who has a whole stack of details and history on the car.

Engine Spec:
3.5 Mahle barrels and pistons.
3.2 crankshaft and case.
Boat tailed case and cylinders.
3.2 oil pump.
Genuine 1970s factory st heads with 12mm sparkplugs. Special Hill climb cams.
311hp.
Genuine RSR fuel injection pump.
Genuine high butterflies.
Genuine twin sparkplug distributor.
Swiss made Schaffer headers and 105db silencer.

Gearbox:
Close ratio road/track day ratios.
Zf plate lsd.
Heavy duty side diff plate.
Later Heavy duty input shaft. Turbo clamp plate.
Freshly rebuilt.

Cheers,