Well don't be shy let us know about yourselves

Moderator: Miggs

Midlifecrisis
DDK slapper chatter

Re: New 1970 911T member - and questions

Post by Midlifecrisis »

inaglasshouse wrote:
Any advice on where to start with restoration?:
Since you ask... one word of advice, from someone who has been there...
From the pics, this is not a local repairs / patching candidate. It needs stripping back to a blasted shell.
Floors and sills will be coming out both sides, so it _must_ go on a (Celette) jig for the metalwork.
Get the shell right. Anything that bolts on can be improved over time, but the shell is a one-off effort. Spend the money once with someone who knows exactly what they are doing.

Good luck. DDK is a great place to learn, I find.

Having done a 1970 911T restoration - what he said.
Jos

1970 911T LHD (Gone)
1974 Peugeot 304S RHD
1962 356B Notch
RobFrost
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by RobFrost »

inaglasshouse wrote:
From the pics, this is not a local repairs / patching candidate. It needs stripping back to a blasted shell.
Floors and sills will be coming out both sides, so it _must_ go on a (Celette) jig for the metalwork.
Get the shell right. Anything that bolts on can be improved over time, but the shell is a one-off effort. Spend the money once with someone who knows exactly what they are doing.

Thanks. Who has a Celette near the Midlands? I assume all are in commercial ownership?
1970 911T, Signal orange (Restoration thread)
1988 3.2 Carrera backdate, Black
2001 996 Turbo, Lapis blue (am I allowed to put that here?)
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

inaglasshouse wrote:

Thansk for the advice. Do you know of anyone with an early 911 Celette jig in the Midlands?
I'm looking for a pre-impact bumper 911S or other high-revving 911 to restore - please let me know if you see one.
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

There are other body options for sure but you’ll find many on DDK talking of Barry Carter as the go to man for 911 structural work.

He doesn’t advertise, have a website, a nice workshop or good coffee (sorry Barry!), but his work is second to none and his rates are more than reasonable when you consider the skills and because he’s done so many now he gets there faster! He did the structural work on my car and that was his 50ish 911 shell…

He’s down in Hastings so far from local, but that doesn’t really matter too much in the grand scheme of 911 restoration!

He only (normally!) works from a bare fully stripped shell and only does metal, no paint (other than inside box sections)

If you are interested I’ll put you in touch, certainly worth a chat.

If you look at the website that ‘inaglasshouse’ runs http://www.safetycolours.com you can see a full Barry shell restoration in all its gory glory!
Cheers
Gary
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Gary71 wrote:^ This.

Happy to come over to Lichfield and look over it with you and offer some thoughts if you decide to keep it as it is for now.

Kings Lynn is a bit far! :)

That's a really kind offer - but then I wouldn't get to drive it anywhere!! Maybe we meet up half way :)

Most likely I'll get it roadworthy with a view to a more thorough restoration further down the road.
RobFrost

Post by RobFrost »

Gary71 wrote:^ This.

Happy to come over to Lichfield and look over it with you and offer some thoughts if you decide to keep it as it is for now.

Kings Lynn is a bit far! :)
Hi Gary, Are you still interested in taking a look and offering any thoughts? I now have the car with me in Lichfield and I accidentally got a bit overexcited and bought a 3.2 Carrera which is here too now! I can make most times as I work for myself and mostly at home.