Fuel filler flap not opening - Solved !!

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Fuel filler flap not opening - Solved !!

Post by MikeB »

Folks, am sure this has been answered before but a Search didn't throw it up for me.

Filled up with fuel this morning and as I was closing the flap in the wing, the rubber bodywork protector flaps seemed to get muddled up and one ended up poking out of the top, pushed the flap down by hand and the rubber slid back in out of sight, but when I pulled the release to check all was OK the release wouldn't open the flap. The flap itself is moving freely when you push it down but the release feels a bit slack and not releasing the catch. How do you access all this, inside the wheel arch I assume?

It an 81MY 911
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Fuel filler flap not opening - Solved !!

Post by MikeB »

OK, so an hour or so of fiddling and the catch us working again :)

So firstly getting the catch released. By shining a torch round the gap between the ring and the filler flap, from the top of the wing, I was able to look down and spot the operating cable and the bit of the catch it pulls on. By getting a small thin flat headed screwdriver, you can push down on the leg of the catch snd swing it open, see the photo below

My issue was that the steel cable had corroded in the tube it runs in, so stupidly I pulled it out. Try and apply some oil/lube with it in situ if you can. Anyway out it came, I gave the wire a rub with fine Emery paper and pushed it back in, only to find that there were two parts to the tube with a big gap in the middle, further still the two tubes were not aligned, so the wire need a bend out in it and a bit of a guide from the screwdriver to firstly poke into the 2nd tube and then to progress further down it. You can assist this a bit if you have slim hands that can get in the gap between wing and door. Here is the scene, I suspect Porsche may have had a rubber tube to cover this gap, but when my wings were replaced one was not fitted.

There then follows another few minutes of Basic English, until you get the tip of the wire to line up with the exit of the tube and the slot in the catch, by rotating the wire via the knob on the dash and pushing the catch to whichever side it needs to go to let the wire through the slot, and then full of dizzy excitement you can reattach the wire clamp and test your handy work.

Anyhow mine now has a lubricated wire and seems to be working fine once more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Fuel filler flap not opening - Solved !!

Post by 911hillclimber »

I thought there should be a ingle tube from the A post to the wing for the solid wire to run it?
The wire then simply slides down the lot to the catch, falls in place exactly and after a quick slurp of tea all tightens up....
Bitch of a job and I have very small hands.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9