Front Inner fender repair section, Fender Flange repair?

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Tedri Mark
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Tedri Mark »

So both sides of my inner front fenders are rested through and need repairing, as can be seen in these pics:

http://kontroversi.co.uk/Uploads/Car_St ... nder_L.jpg
http://kontroversi.co.uk/Uploads/Car_St ... nder_R.jpg
(For some reason these wouldn't work if I used the Image

which is in the UK, but for a 68 onwards (mine's a '67), although states will fit SWB and LWB. Also seems not to extend far enough in the direction I need it to, ie the entire length of the fender flange

Also, the fenders themselves have rotted through in the flange section where they bolt on is it possible to get repair sections for the flanges of those too?
Last edited by Tedri Mark on Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep it RAT!
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Gary71 »

Tedri Mark wrote:So both sides of my inner front fenders are rusted through and need repairing, as can be seen in these pics:

http://kontroversi.co.uk/Uploads/Car_St ... nder_L.jpg

Also, the fenders themselves have rotted through in the flange section where they bolt on is it possible to get repair sections for the flanges of those too?
Hi Tedri,

Normally if the fender is rotted through on the flange (more than a couple of local areas anyway) that normally means time for a new one unless you can fabricate the repairs from scratch.

I need to have a look at the repair panel you linked to, but most of often this area is fabricated as it’s not too complex if you have a folder and a basic shrinks/stretcher machine.
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Front Inner fender repair section, Fender Flange repair?

Post by Gary71 »

Just looked closer at your first photo… messy.

When I said easy to fabricate it doesn’t normally need repair that far around…

The most effective repair might be to buy a complete LWB inner wing and either swap out the whole panel and backdate to SWB or extract the section you need and graft in.

Is the rest of the inner wing ok?

It sounds dramatic, and it is expensive, but unless you are making the metalwork yourself the hours (and hence cost) for a scratch made fabrication will exceed the part price fairly easily.

And if you get it wrong the front end panels will never line up properly.
Tedri Mark
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Tedri Mark »

Gary71 wrote:The most effective repair might be to buy a complete LWB inner wing and either swap out the whole panel and backdate to SWB or extract the section you need and graft in.
The rest of the inner wing seems okay so I'm reluctant to spend £1,000 -£1,500 a side just to chuck most of the panel away.

Looking at the amount of mounting holes, I think this lower panel from design911 combined with the other panel should cover it

https://www.design911.co.uk/fu/prod1389 ... =doofinder

and it works out at about £650 all in.
Keep it RAT!
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Its not easy from the photos to see exactly how much of the inner wing is perforated - the top lip that holds the hood seal looks pretty good and, if that is the case, I would try to save that and graft in clean metal below it, replacing only the sections that are perforated.

Assuming the lower parts of the flange are not totally gone, it might be easier to MIG in separate horizontal patches and vertical patches (make card templates from the cutouts, and make the patches from the templates) and then TIG along the seam, rather than trying to form single curved sections with the folds. It is straightforward to make the vertical flange section (the part with the bolt holes for the wings) as one big piece from a cardboard template.

If the inner wing is too far gone, and you are paying someone else to do it, it might well be more cost-effective to buy a whole new inner wing and graft in just the part you need or all of it...

Good luck :cyclopsani:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
coomo
DDK forever

Post by coomo »

You can buy "top" of inner wing.Restoration Deign)It fits up to under scuttle.See pic of it fitted on left.You will then use replacement front inner wing panels.The only part you will have to fabricate,is the middle part,as I had too.
Tedri Mark
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Tedri Mark »

coomo wrote:You can buy "top" of inner wing.Restoration Deign)It fits up to under scuttle.
Yeah I found that part, seems like it's more expensive and a smaller panel than the upper repair from design911

I've just updated the link to the 2nd image which shows the other side with previous bad repairs
Keep it RAT!