911R Intake Manifolds

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

911R Intake Manifolds

Post by fetuhoe »

First samples from the new patterns before they are mounted in a frame and these are for machining trials.

We will be making them in Aluminium and Magnesium
PhilipB
DDK slapper chatter

Re: 911R Intake Manifolds

Post by PhilipB »

Interesting! What are the port sizes?
Philip
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Post by fetuhoe »

We are making them in two sizes as we have made 2 x different core boxes.

Size 1 as per original 911R to suit 46IDA carb and 38mm intake port.

Size 2 to suit 40IDA and 36mm Intake port on a 96 S Head

We will make some thermal isolators to sit them onto an SC head to match to a new EFI System we are developing.

The Throttle Bodies for this system have been cast and are being machined now and they will sit on either these 'tall' manifolds or a standard short manifold.

They work with standard throttle linkages and rain hats.
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

Nice! Any more detail on this SC project?

Ian
fetuhoe
DDK rules my life!

Post by fetuhoe »

We are trying to make a set of EFI Throttle Bodies that fit the concept of a classic car and look a bit like a High Butterfly RSR system.

We realise PMO make system that looks like the Weber and Borla make a system which is Retro but wanted to 'row our own boat'.

The Jenvey system doesn't do the job in quite the manner we wanted and although I am sure it works well is only a set of Universal Throttle Bodies, manifolds and linkages. There is still quite a bit of engineering needed.

The basic throttle body we can make between 42mm ID and 46mm ID in terms of bore diameter.

300BHP engines on carbs typically use a 46 IDA with a 36 or 38mm choke so airflow shouldn't be an issue.

We have incorporated a balancing system and vacuum ports for fast idle and load sensing.

Injectors are Bosch Motorsport EV16 which are good quality and available in a decent range of capacities.

The system also uses individual fuel hoses rather than a singe rail which is a cosmetic change to aid the retro appearance.

We have two systems in production.

This first is to fit to a Carrera 3 engine which will be used around town and will try to emulate the drivability of a modern car with economy improvements compared to carbs.

The second system will be installed on an RS replica with 10.5:1 compression, GE60 Cams and Twin Plug Heads.

We are also making a 'billet' distributor with an internal trigger wheel which will sense crank and cam position so we can sequentially trigger a DTA engine management system and maintain a retro appearance by fitting a Dizzy with a Bosch 12 plug cap.
Madjad
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Madjad »

For those wondering, this project came to a halt when I left FLM in 2019, and then after it closed with the help of a couple of third parties, who obtained the relevant parts/ pattern equipment I was able to continue this project as Westbound Restorations..

See my new thread for manifolds and High butterfly EFI
Westbound Restorations since January 19