66 LHD 912 project

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
H120
DDK Seasoned Poster

66 LHD 912 project

Post by H120 »

I've not posted on here for a while - hope someone can spare the time to give a 'what's it worth' opinion.

66 912 SWB (US car)
White with black interior; matching numbers; 5-speed; 5 gauge dash.

The bad:
Project car that's been worked on over many years.
Car is in primer and has been entirely stripped of interior, headliner, lights and glass. Doors are stripped, wings, bumpers etc. are loosely attached.
Engine hasn't run in years.

The good:

Shell is very good - front suspension pan and front rh floor pan have been replaced, minor repairs to rear shelf and rear seat pan (all very typical for even a dry-state car)- all done to a good standard. The rest of the body is excellent and original - sills, torsion tube, b posts etc all perfect and dry. There are a few dents that have had some filler applied but it's a pretty straight car.

Engine turns over, original solex carbs and air filters (carbs have been rebuilt). The car was 'running well' and driving before resto started. Hasn't dropped much oil considering how long it's sat!.. and it does have oil in it :wink:

4 genuine 15" fuchs in nice condition

All glass and trim seems to be present (i'm sure it'll not be 100% complete tho)

Interior trim is there but needing restored/replaced

So what's it worth as-is? I have a good idea of what it'll take in terms of money and time to finish it - I just need a gut-check on the price of admission.

Cheers
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 66 LHD 912 project

Post by Sam »

£10-£20k

Based on the likelihood it’ll cost more to finish than it’s going to be worth and the unlikelihood the seller will part with it for less than this.

These cars are impossible to value objectively, since the cost of the work is impossible to know. (Is the shell straight / how much will you do yourself / who will you use for what you don’t do / how good will the work be / what bits are missing / etc).

It’s just how much you’d enjoy the project and how keen the seller is to clear their garage.

From a financial perspective you’d be much better finding a good SWB 911 for £70k, but where’s the fun in writing a cheque for a finished car?
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Cortina
DDK rules my life!

Post by Cortina »

Sam wrote:£10-£20k

Based on the likelihood it’ll cost more to finish than it’s going to be worth and the unlikelihood the seller will part with it for less than this.

These cars are impossible to value objectively, since the cost of the work is impossible to know. (Is the shell straight / how much will you do yourself / who will you use for what you don’t do / how good will the work be / what bits are missing / etc).

It’s just how much you’d enjoy the project and how keen the seller is to clear their garage.

From a financial perspective you’d be much better finding a good SWB 911 for £70k, but where’s the fun in writing a cheque for a finished car?
Could you buy a "Good SWB 911 for £70K " ..... I would have my doubts ??
Royal Enfield .. still in India
GL 1800 Tour DCT, for pleasure / Fantic 240 Professional - play
Rally 911 (1966) build parked for a while
Rally 928 (work started again - inc serious weight loss programe !)
.... and now another VW Up GTI owner.
H120
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by H120 »

Thanks Sam - that's about what I thought too in todays market.

I actually think its pretty expensive for a project car at ~17k but I have an empty space in a container and it'd be a back-burner project. In a couple of years will I be saying 'I should've bought that' if I pass?
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

H120 wrote:Thanks Sam - that's about what I thought too in todays market.

I actually think its pretty expensive for a project car at ~17k but I have an empty space in a container and it'd be a back-burner project. In a couple of years will I be saying 'I should've bought that' if I pass?
So long as £17k isn’t all the money you have, get it bought. Even if you never get round to doing it the value of the parts will rise.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.