911 hot rods..where are they money wise today?

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
satan
DDK above all

Re: 911 hot rods..where are they money wise today?

Post by satan »

I knew she'd come around.
1971 911e
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

There was a Yaris GT thingie at Wiscombe on Saturday. Came second or third in class, straight off the showroom floor, original road tyres and all. Sell the 911, sell the Lola, sell the Skoda, sell the Boxster and just have one car that does it all: hillclimbs, shopping, long-ish journeys... :lol:
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Sam

Post by Sam »

It’s a hugely appealing thing the Yaris.

Until you remember an Impreza was faster, narrower, lighter, more practical and better steering nearly 30 years ago. No doubt the Yaris is more refined, better equipped and more frugal and I like the fact it just looks like a Yaris to a layman, but I feel like journos are getting a bit carried away.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Or getting better bungs and incentives
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
jonno1
I luv DDK!

Post by jonno1 »

There are only 19 GR Yaris for sale on ebay.....just the 19 :shock:

Spoken to a few people that bought them. The novelty wore off very quickly. Fun, but doesn't feel special.
1958 356A Coupe
987 Gen 2 Boxster
986 2.5 Boxster
joelhopwood1976
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by joelhopwood1976 »

Hi,

I'm the "serious private buyer". Obviously don't know the OP or his car but I think I have now found my car, '71 2.2E unrestored. We'll see. I have to bring it in from the fatherland.

Was really chiming in to say to the OP, we've all been there. You fall in and out of love with the car, the project... I have a 1979 manual 928 which I bought in 2008, have been all over Europe in it. A few years ago you couldn't give them away... I almost sold it for £8k.

Then I decided in 2019 I wanted to tick something off the bucket list, go skiing in the 928. So.. family ski trip booked with another family, everyone flew apart from the 2 dads, we went in the 928 and had an absolute blast including some proper adverntures getting stuck in a ditch we couldn't see cos of the snow and being pulled out by a snowplough. Now I feel I would never sell the car and I treasure the memories of that trip.

But never say never. Why don't you plan a trip, special occasion in it and just go out and have some fun! Then you will know if you really want to sell or not. If you do want to sell, the market is the market. Stick it on collecting cars. Sellers can't lose.

I think a lot of people are feeling very down after a year of Covid. Not a good frame of mind to make irreversible decisions in. Good luck whatever you decide,

All the best ,

Joel

ImageJH and 928 in the snow by jh8040, on Flickr
Prestonese
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Prestonese »

911hillclimber wrote:Interesting.
The aris was the wife's idea. The spec is really nice on paper and looks good and interesting.

One of the plans looking forward in life is to sell everything and buy a Yaris as the all round car.
She has a delightful Skoda Citigo Monte Carlo for the run around, I would need something far more.

So, sell the 911, sell the Lola and sell the Skoda Superb and trailer tow rig and seek fresh horizons.
I would continue tinkering on old motorbikes and the model planes in a spacious garage.

We would do long trips in the Yaris. Is it a Long Trip car?
I will let you know in a few weeks when I am due to drive it across the north of England and in the Lakes. You can certainly do everything in it but different people have different expectations. The only think I'd say is that it is like a rabid dog out of slow corners and the damping is pretty good in all scenarios (I've not tracked it so there's a caveat). I think if you needed one car to do it all including the odd track day then it probably does that better than almost anything. That said, I have enjoyed every single drive I've had in my 911T and nothing beats it for the emotion and feeling I get just pottering along in it. I also feel like I can spend many years tweaking and updating the 911T and enjoying the changes. I don't get that same feeling with the Yaris though I see that there are quite a few people making extensive mods to theirs. It's not that kind of a car for me but it's still fun.

I know that the car as been hyped by the press and bloggers but I sense that is probably the case for a lot of "special" cars these days. A lot of the modern Porsche limited editions come to mind. I previously had an A110 which was raved about by the press but in many ways it was understated. The suspension and handling on that was off the charts for me and was so different to anything else out there. At a stretch, that was one car to do it all as it was fantastic over long distances. However, storage was a bit compromised for Euro trips.
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

The Yaris GR gets rave reviews because it's unique in today's new car market. With different body, chassis, and drivetrain it's a marketing device to provide a missing link between the WRC Yaris and the road cars rather than a homologation special
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

We have two 2002 1.0 yaris' for family cars. Cheap to run, insurance and maintain. Better mpg than Graham's Booster. I'm happy to leave them anywhere. The kids which are insured to drive them think they are very uncool. I think they are like owning a cheap digital watch. Fit for purpose.

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thanks to all.

We/wife had a Y reg Yaris for 11 years from new, it was perfect, just tyres and a set of plugs and services. Daughter learnt to drive in it etc.
Only surpassed by the Honda Civic before it that didn't need plugs!

The GR Yaris is special all-round so appeals.

I love the 911, she seems growingly indifferent to it almost avoiding using it. We will do the odd days out, Silverstone classic etc but that is it.
It is almost redundant at 500/1000 miles a year.

Trouble will selling-up s the loss to the social side esp the hill climbs after 31 years of them.
All this has made me feel confused, guess she is the same, and could all be down to covid gloom.

As to the little 110, lovely car, but with no luggage space for real trips really not suitable. Hard to beat the Booster econo machine!
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Ant22
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Ant22 »

joelhopwood1976 wrote:Hi,

I'm the "serious private buyer". Obviously don't know the OP or his car but I think I have now found my car, '71 2.2E unrestored. We'll see. I have to bring it in from the fatherland.

Was really chiming in to say to the OP, we've all been there. You fall in and out of love with the car, the project... I have a 1979 manual 928 which I bought in 2008, have been all over Europe in it. A few years ago you couldn't give them away... I almost sold it for £8k.

Then I decided in 2019 I wanted to tick something off the bucket list, go skiing in the 928. So.. family ski trip booked with another family, everyone flew apart from the 2 dads, we went in the 928 and had an absolute blast including some proper adverntures getting stuck in a ditch we couldn't see cos of the snow and being pulled out by a snowplough. Now I feel I would never sell the car and I treasure the memories of that trip.

But never say never. Why don't you plan a trip, special occasion in it and just go out and have some fun! Then you will know if you really want to sell or not. If you do want to sell, the market is the market. Stick it on collecting cars. Sellers can't lose.

I think a lot of people are feeling very down after a year of Covid. Not a good frame of mind to make irreversible decisions in. Good luck whatever you decide,

All the best ,

Joel

ImageJH and 928 in the snow by jh8040, on Flickr

Great post.
MY 73 2.4S
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Hugo 356 wrote:The Yaris GR gets rave reviews because it's unique in today's new car market. With different body, chassis, and drivetrain it's a marketing device to provide a missing link between the WRC Yaris and the road cars rather than a homologation special
Correction to this post; I'm reading that the GR Yaris body will form the homologation basis of the 2022 Rally 1 (top tier WRC) car, with the engine possibly used in Rally 2. If there's some shared DNA with the WRC I think the GR will attain the status of the Impreza / Lancer but with fewer cars produced
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.