Wiring hell...

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

tomgoodwin3
DDK addict

Wiring hell...

Post by tomgoodwin3 »

I hate electrics, I especially hate wiring looms....

As much as I'd love to spend many hours rebuilding my tired looking loom (and fix the multitudenous eons of bugs that it had) I feel it would save me a lot of grief to just to be a 'new' one which would take little effort to tailor to my car and fit in.

Any suggestions?

On another subject, had a hard driver failure last thurs....thought I'd lost all the pics of my 914!......thankfully the IT guy at work was able to work his magic and restore everything....top man :-)
Tom Goodwin

....currently car-less...deciding what to buy....
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

914 wiring looms arent the easiest things to work with are they :x
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
Pablo
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Pablo »

tomgoodwin3
DDK addict

Post by tomgoodwin3 »

Thanks Pablo, that link could be of use.

It appears that guy only does replacement engine harnesses for FI cars though and not any for the other areas of the car....

Had a look at mittelmotor, they sell a used harness for the whole car....

Might look into doing it myself, at least that way I'll know for sure that everything works.....we shall see
Tom Goodwin

impmad2000
I need to get out more!

Post by impmad2000 »

I took literally yards of spare wires out of my old Targa. Alarm systems, radios and accesories. Scotch lok connectors, twisted and taped wires the works. I just settled down with a soldering iron, some black heat shrink sleeve, new crimp connectors and a proper ratchet crimp tool and made the whole thing so much better.
Wiring is not scary, honest.... just be logical, take lots of photos. Draw and label lots.... I turned spagetti into ..... into.... well, something like spagetti, but nicer looking. If you do need a hand, Leicester isn't too far away .
Cheers
Tim
Tim Bennett
RHD Targa 2.2T EFI, Triumph ITB's, EDIS and Megasquirt.
"Old enough to know what's right and young enough not to choose it"
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

impmad2000 wrote:I took literally yards of spare wires out of my old Targa. Alarm systems, radios and accesories. Scotch lok connectors, twisted and taped wires the works. I just settled down with a soldering iron, some black heat shrink sleeve, new crimp connectors and a proper ratchet crimp tool and made the whole thing so much better.
Wiring is not scary, honest.... just be logical, take lots of photos. Draw and label lots.... I turned spagetti into ..... into.... well, something like spagetti, but nicer looking. If you do need a hand, Leicester isn't too far away .
Cheers
Tim

Wise words Tim and I would only add one thing TAKE YOUR TIME. I had a lot or re-wiring to do on my fourteen and you just need care and patience. The Haynes book wiring diagrams are ok for the fourteen, you just need to identify the right year and US or Europe. An essntial tool is a good multimeter I found. Good luck
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
tomgoodwin3
DDK addict

Post by tomgoodwin3 »

Thanks guys,

I did actually buy a mulimeter in anticipation a couple of years ago so I must of had a different view on wiring back then!

I'll give it a go myself, can't get any worse than it is now...

:-)
Tom Goodwin

MdR

Post by MdR »

impmad2000 wrote:I turned spagetti into ..... into.... well, something like spagetti, but nicer looking.
Linguine?
Martin Rogers
+44 (0)7812 167547
'69 Ossi blue warmrod 3.0 911T
[sold & sorely missed]'67S '70 Targa T '75 914/4 x 2