1971T Coupe LHD Sporto - Burgundy - US Import

Ongoing and archived Porsche (and other marques) restoration threads from DDK members

Moderator: Bootsy

Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Re: 1971T Coupe LHD Sporto - Burgundy - US Import

Post by Joelipol »

So I've decided to fix up a few nagging things starting with a new stainless exhaust. Incredibly the original mild steel version I had from new in 2014 rusted. It was just surface rust and I could've sprayed it again but... just no, stainless now looks amazing (will post up later).

The car has now about 11k on the rebuilt engine and is running better than ever - it's tripped to Italia twice, once to Belgium and up north a couple of times round. The enginee seems to have freed up and it now runs / idles and sounds like a proper Porsche. I mean it is but having assembled it myself I was always critical - the new exhaust definitely helps to lower the pitch a tad - glorious IMO.

It has been a while and looking back at the above pics - wow! How good does the car look when fresh out of the paint shop?
...and it's now back there....
It seems living in not quite sealed garages and driving the thing (perish the thought!) has caused some damage to that perfect finish.
I had some micro blistering on the drivers side - painter reckons due it being stored under a cover occasionally and the moisture getting in... blames the 'green' paint we have nowadays - and three fairly sizeable paint chips, front bonnet, right rear quarter, some rubbing over the rear right wheel arch when I kissed a pole and interestingly, some crazing on the front bumper. All now in for rectification.
I plan on ceramic coating the thing when it comes out end of the week so it keeps that shine a little longer - any tips for who to use?

Here are the update shots:

Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

…and now all done. Back to perfect, now just to baby it to the ceramic coat…

Apparently OSC does all the resto paint work for Dukes of London. A rep. came to view progress on one of their cars, saw mine and was very interested… until… he looked inside and couldn’t see a clutch pedal… his head dropped in disappointment. Perhaps I should just stick a fake one in there? :D

As good as it is, it is what it is and I’m cool with that, I wanted it exactly as the CoA delivered it and that’s what it is (well to EU spec not US). Perhaps when we’re all driving electric and petrol is banned, our cars are running synthetic fuels and no one remembers how to use a clutch… this will be the one to have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Looking good
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
hot66

Post by hot66 »

never driven a sporto .. but I know those who have owned them say they're great and entertaining in a whole different way :cheers: 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

Manual is better. But as an interesting piece of history and an example of 70’s Porsche engineering, it has its place.

Here is a shot of the gear change in action in the Black Forrest if of interest..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/11Kr-Jd ... p=drivesdk

…and a few more up stelvio, unfortunately I got stuck behind a car on the way up but you get a few gear changes in there to see, hear the action.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ah72pv ... p=drivesdk

Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

Looks very nice indeed!
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I think it's a lovely car - Sporto & all.

Burgundy is one of the best colours on an early car & the chromed steel wheels with hubcaps compliment the bodywork perfectly ... 8)

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

I seem to remember reading somewhere that Vic Elford's personal 911 was actually a sporto. Can't be bad.
PMNorris
DDK slapper chatter

Post by PMNorris »

Joelipol wrote:…and now all done. Back to perfect, now just to baby it to the ceramic coat…

Apparently OSC does all the resto paint work for Dukes of London. A rep. came to view progress on one of their cars, saw mine and was very interested… until… he looked inside and couldn’t see a clutch pedal… his head dropped in disappointment. Perhaps I should just stick a fake one in there? :D

As good as it is, it is what it is and I’m cool with that, I wanted it exactly as the CoA delivered it and that’s what it is (well to EU spec not US). Perhaps when we’re all driving electric and petrol is banned, our cars are running synthetic fuels and no one remembers how to use a clutch… this will be the one to have.

OSC did my paintwork too. I'm very happy with the results
1970 2.2 911 T / Ex RS Clone, now more original looking, with 1979 3.2 SS engine
1988 3.2 Carrera Commemorative edition (sold)
Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

Now with the ceramic coat on and finally back home -next job, installing the H1 headlights, reflectors are back from chromating - just have to rewire and restore the rest of it!

Darren65
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Darren65 »

Your car looks glorious! :drunken: :)