More OT:Ridgway racing antics

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: More OT:Ridgway racing antics

Post by gridgway »

Thanks Graham, we've made a choice of a very good local engine builder that has built engines for us before and has good historic/twincam experience. He's not as famous as the other names, but he is much more "human" and we are able to discuss different options for the rebuild. Anthony Denham at CK Motor Engineers.

After a little looking before the full stripdown, we are hoping that the damage is localised, possibly only one bent valve. There is no debris to be found in the oil. We can weld up the cam. Oh, no we can't :shock: :shock:

Going for billet cams and a slightly different oil distribution setup. One or more new valves and new guides, crack test the rest, maybe one new piston and rebuild with new bearings and rings. The motor was 500 miles into a normal 2000 mile life and we think it was simple component failure rather than any shock damage.

Graham
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

So to add to the Ridgway racing antics, I've arranged to run on Saturday with the sports prototype cup back at the Silverstone GP circuit. This is in a Revolution A1, the brain child of the ex radical founder and all round good chap Phil Abbott. It runs a ford V6 at circa 400bhp. By far the fastest race car I've ever driven (apart from iRacing)!

Four test sessions on Friday to get the hang of it. Eeek.

Watch this space!

Graham
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Nice!

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I'm hoping to be at least 3 from the back.... Hopefully!
jb
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by jb »

That looks mega.
Be careful and have fun.
Thanks for posting your antics thread. It is inspiring.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Looks like a proper time around Silverstone GP in a Revolution is 1:58. The fastest I've been round in my single seater is 2:15! Looking at times I saw that Michael Lyons drove a McLaren MP4/4 which might have been Senna's round in just over 2m in 2016.

Early start tomorrow. Not sure I'll sleep well :shock: :shock:
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Very detailed report expected with pictures of you on the Podium!
What a car that will be.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

The car is the Revolution A1 which is the car developed by the ex founder of Radical Phil Abbott.

I'll write more later, as it is a fantastic car, but sadly we had an issue yesterday in testing which can't be resolved for today so I won't be participating in today's race fun.

Graham
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Irritating for you.
So true of all motorsport, nothing is simple or easy.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I might write the weekend report in a couple of posts as there is a lot to write. Sorry for the dull bits.

To the background... I knew Phil Abbott, the Radical founder from my time racing Radicals about 2008-2013. He's a lovely chap, can talk on his subject forever and did a great thing at Radical. It became super popular in the time of the banking crisis (why, I have no idea). But as with many good inventions, it was hard to find the next thing to add in to the successful mix. And to cut a long story of investors and struggles short, Phil left Radical. Then he set about re-inventing a new successful formula.

The idea was to go up market a bit and bring proper sports car tech to the (well healed) clubman. That was the birth of the Revolution A1, based around a carbon tub with a ford V6 motor. Both reasonably expensive, but with an eye on running costs. A couple of examples... A motor that goes much further than the normal 30ish hours. Slick race tyres that are readily available rather than being made for the car. £1200 a set rather than a lot more.

So it's about 400bhp, carbon tub, flat floor. electric power steering, no ABS, and generates about 600KG weight downforce at full chat. Quite a lot of good trick suspension components to keep the aero platform flat for consistent performance, nice to drive for the gentleman driver and in some parallel universe of expensive race car costs, not too bad in cost terms to run. Best not to break it though!

What do I think? I've been watching and a bit sceptical as it struggled to go faster than the Radical SR3 for quite a long time. But it's now a proper race car, fast, works well and a good proposition. But how does it break through to get to commercial success? It needs to be a desirable thing to race and capture the attention of the well -healed gent racer.

Will a big one-make grid do it? Well it would if it supported F1 perhaps, as it did last year and will do again this year at Monza.

Can it find a race series home where it trounces the incumbent and becomes the car to have? I really hope so as I've gone from a bit a a sceptic looking on, to realising it's a family affair, father, wife and son really trying to create a great thing!

So I'll do a race weekend report in the next post...
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

The race series is the Sports Prototype Cup which I think is mainly a vehicle for a one make Revolution series, but there aren't enough Revolutions yet. So it runs with a number of classes and other "sports prototype" type machines as well. For the Silverstone round there should have been 17 entries, but one of the drivers from Switzerland couldn't make it and my car broke in testing so I didn't participate either. So there were:

7 Revolutions including Sir Chris Hoy
2 LMP3 cars - a Ligier and a Duqueine (used to be Norma), the latter driven by Bonamy Grimes
2 Sports 2000s - Duratecs with one being the Jenvey-Gunn of Mike Jenvey
The Chamberlains (of nutty 911/935 fame) with their CTR01 - Honda engined
1 Juno and 2 Radical SR3s

The Ligier had a small fire in quali so didn't do race 1 but did race 2. I thought it would power through the field in race 2, but it only got up to 5th. The Duqueine won both races, but the astonishing performance was the Gunn which seemed to be able to run within a second of the LMP3 car! The top three was the same in both races, Grimes (LMP3), Jenvey (Gunn) and James Abbott in a development spec Revolution (so was in the Open class). The Revolution race 1 winner was Bradley Ellis (a solid Pro UK GT driver) and Race 2 winner was Chris Hoy who I briefly met before in the Radical days when he was just retired from cycling and just getting going in motorsport. And what a nice chap he is!

So what happened to me. That's next, but here are a couple of photos to make all this less boring!

Pitwall video...https://flic.kr/p/2m2pghV

ImageIMG_20210529_092707 by graham Ridgway, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210529_092726 by graham Ridgway, on Flickr
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

And finally to my story of the weekend.

The race weekend at Silverstone GP was the 24 hour C1 race and the Sports Prototype Cup was supporting alongside the Caterham Grads race club and some MX5s.

Friday was 4 test sessions 2x45 and 2x30 so plenty of track time to get used to the car. Firstly we had to do a seat fitting as it's designed for all size drivers and I am at very much of diminutive stature. So we moved the pedal box to its closest position and quickly made an expanding foam seat. I talked through the circuit to get an idea of gears and brakes. The box is 6 speed sequential so no clutch needed apart from setting off and the race is a rolling start so straightforward.

First session was ok, I had a little grassy moment, so needed the grass cleaning out of the rads, but other than that, the car was good. But pretty much the antithesis of last weekend's Lotus Elan on the same circuit.

With an idea of the fastest possible time being 1:58, I did a 2:07 with a good feeling of more to come. On looking at the data, the next step was the braking force and points. I was using about 25bar brake pressure, when there was the possibility of 80ish bar available at top speed and downforce. The Revolution produces about 600 KN downforce at max. The 2:07 was the fastest Revolution time in session 1 with three of us doing that. That was an ok start. The car felt good, tyres came in quite quickly, all in all very nice. Quite heavy steering despite the power assist. Looked at the data with the data man and clearly I was calibrated to Lotus Elan braking points and pressure!

Next job for session 2 was braking. Initially not trying to get the braking any later per se, but to get the brake pressure up to then move the braking points. Golly that was astonishing. Both Hanger Straight and more the end of the Wellington Straight coming into Brooklands. I pressed the brakes as hard as I could and the braking was astonishing. Made me laugh out loud.

But then the guy right in front of me spun coming out of Luffield, and there was no time or space so I collected him. Pretty low speed incident. You always think afterwards, surely I could have avoided that. Did I need to be close as I was going to go by, or could I have just slowed and backed off? But in reality, there was nothing to do. And that was that. Yes, some carbon bits to replace :shock: but there was a problem with a suspension pick up point and after some discussion we decided that that was that really. We couldn't run with it like that and they wanted to properly attend to it at the factory. So sadly it was game over.

But I had a great time, the cars are astonishing and very trick. The Abbotts are truly splendid people and Phil will try and get me out again this year. Portimao, Monza supporting the F1, or perhaps Donington. In reality I'm not going to be having another go at a circuit I don't know, so perhaps Donington! Actually my biggest disappointment (other than not racing) was the chance to be in a race with LPM3s. That's definitely bragging rights to bore the grandkids with in a few years time. And to have been on the pace in session 1 with a couple of great names was very happy!

Here is a video of the race start coming through Copse (starting on the "old" start finish line)
https://flic.kr/p/2m2ynnq

ImageIMG_20210529_085549 by graham Ridgway, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210529_085544 by graham Ridgway, on Flickr
ImageIMG_20210528_102803 by graham Ridgway, on Flickr
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

Great write up, Graham.
Shame about the accident, but glad you are taking it all in your stride.
What’s next??
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

We were there testing a couple of early 911s in the same sessions - pretty big speed differentials!
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Good insight to circuits, but highlights the risk of damage and the time/£ losses due to others.
At lest on a hill there is only you and the scenery, but the action is not comparable!

In these races with other people's cars, do you insure it/parts of the car or is it 'if I bend it I mend it'?
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9