No hand bake/parking brake warning light

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

kp73
DDK Seasoned Poster

No hand bake/parking brake warning light

Post by kp73 »

So this light has never worked in my car since I've had it (pic isn't my car, but the brake light indicated by the white arrow).

I assumed that either the bulb was gone or some other wiring problem.

But then it flashed on briefly while I was driving, so I assume the bulb is good and something with the master cylinder switch made the light flash on. It went off again very quickly and has never come back on since. Brakes are all good.

I thought I'd have a rummage to see what was up with the hand brake switch, but couldn't see any wiring going to it.

I expected to find a ground wire where the yellow arrow is, and where the red arrow is maybe a live wire going to the switch (blue arrow). Is that what I should expect in a '68 912? Maybe someone removed the wiring? I'll dismantle it all it all and have a proper look but I wondered if any of you could tell me what I should find.
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Re: No hand bake/parking brake warning light

Post by AndrewSlater »

Yes you should have a switch where the blue arrow is, and the wire to it goes through the 'hump' in the metal shown by your red arrow.
I don't recall the need for a ground wire as the switch should ground through the chassis.
The switch has a screw that allows some adjustment to the switch to set where the light triggers.
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )
kp73
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by kp73 »

Thanks that what I thought, I wonder why I'm missing all that. I'll see when I take it all apart, some bodges I guess!
kp73
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by kp73 »

I found the missing wire, tucked away under the carpet. The switch was totally missing and the contact bow that the switch touches seems to be broken off :(

Does anyone know where I can get a new contact bow from (in the UK)? I think the part number is 901.613.523.20 and should look like this;

912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

Ask Max Levell at Revival Cars he has loads of s/h parts and usually knows where you can source part s from for a 912.
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R