356A - Fuel Pump

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

356A - Fuel Pump

Post by mrg3.6 »

Hi,

I'm going to have a crack at servicing the fuel pump on my 59 356a, so any tips would be gratefully received.

An extract from the factory manual refers to filling the fuel pump housing with special 'anti-freeze' grease?

Does anyone know what type of grease they are referring to?

Thx
Martin
59 356A
83 911SC 3.6
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 356A - Fuel Pump

Post by neilbardsley »

http://sparkingplugs.com/6.html

http://sparkingplugs.com/3.html

There are two articles on there from Bruce on rebuilding fuel pumps.

If you get stuck email him. He is very helpful

Sent from my M2004J19C using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

Thanks Neil
59 356A
83 911SC 3.6
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

I have wondered about 'antifreeze ' grease for over 50 years since I first read that comment in the same factory book it seems you have.!!

I seem to remember some lithium based grease bought for wheel bearings once a long time time ago stated the temp range it was suitable for on the tin. Maybe google would advise. Did your pump reduce on delivery of fuel? Why are you doing this work had the diaphragm failed?

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Post by mrg3.6 »

roy mawbey wrote: Did your pump reduce on delivery of fuel? Why are you doing this work had the diaphragm failed? Roy
Thanks for the feedback Roy.

Mission creep - this process started as a simple oil change/service then quickly evolved into a new exhaust/heat exchangers then whilst I was waiting for parts, I popped out the engine to clean-up over 50 years of crud and re-paint the tinware, then the carbs and fuel pump started to wink at me :roll:

In hindsight with the potential complexity of rebuilding the fuel pump (special VW tools 328 a+b ??) I am getting cold feet so might just clean it, replace the gaskets, regrease and put it back where it came from.

This game of exploration continues.

Cheers
Martin
59 356A
83 911SC 3.6
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Martin, maybe a sensible decision to leave the fuel pump till after you reinstalled the engine and tried to see if runs. I have in the past had the pump off and I have a full rebuild kit but.. its delivery is good since the last rebuild actually by AFN in the mid 60's!

The small cap with the 10mm bolt that secures the fine mesh filter you should be very careful with! First always have the new rubber ring gasket ready ( original ones were cork! ) and do not overtighten the cap. The top can distort easily and then even with the the small fibre washer leak. I have repaired my cap which worked okay but just be aware!

I guess you found the removal of the old exhaust pipes easier with the engine out, and yes you can see the places to clean !!

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954