356 car battery for a 1963 'B'

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Disco
DDK rules my life!

356 car battery for a 1963 'B'

Post by Disco »

Long time no speak/ ask folks.!

Looks like my battery has given up the ghost. = even though I had it on charge/trickle charge all winter.... knowing nothing about the 6v Battery, is there anything I should consider before going out and buying a new one? and if I need to, is there a place everyone goes to for them? - not too concerned about originality, but I want one that fits and one that doesn't cost the earth..

Cheers
Disco
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: 356 car battery for a 1963 'B'

Post by neilbardsley »

Red top Optima. Not the cheapest but works well

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Thanks Neil, appreciate the advice - they look expensive - any reason why I should pay twice as much for a battery than say a standard one? - genuine question as I have zero idea about these kind of things?

Many thanks
Joe
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

The stats to look at are cold cranking and capacity. For the red top it's 813 and 50amp hours.

If the battery at 50% of the cost has similar figures buy it.

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

Ok cool - thank you. I’m going to try with dioinised water first, I hate to throw away what was a perfectly good battery, but suspect I’m throwing ( not much ) money down the drain here... cheers again.
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

Beware of the classic rubber cased batteries with open bars on the top. Whilst the batteries from (for example) Lincon Batteries work well, especially if you buy the 13 plate heavy duty version, the open bars are a serious safety hazard. If you choose one of these, in my opinion, they should be secured with a strong plywood lid and proper clamp, beneath the 356 fibre board cover. The reason: if a spanner etc falls on the top across those bars you have a BIG situation that WILL develop very quickly. The spanner may become red hot, whilst melting through the lead bars.....I use one on our Austin 7, it works well (my 356 is 12v). W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

I have always used the old style batteries and yes the battery box cover should always be in place and with no tools left inside that area! Batteries seem to last or should last for 6-7 years.
https://www.prs356.co.uk/porsche-356-pa ... rd-rubber/

This battery from PRS will fit and the code 404 is the same as mine aslo 71 amp/hour.

I use an Accumate battery conditioner that can stay plugged on for weeks if needed. Had it now for some years works well.
If you have a hydrometer you can check the cells to see the condition.

I paid around the same £120 - for the one I have at the moment about 5 years ago from memory.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Just note the battery shown above is supplied without acid. I bought my 6volt Nomex 404 style battery 7 years ago from Milestones fully charged ready to go. And still seems in good condition now. The same 71 amp/hour and I thought back in 2014 the £125 price was really high compared with previous ones They said well there is not the requirement now in quantity for 6v. that reflects the higher price.

Roy
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

thank you guys for the advice. I' bought some ionised water to add to the battery - it looked pretty dry and charged up the battery. No dice - seemed to charge it, ie there was power coming from the battery, but no grunt to start the car... so I went for the battery that Neil suggested - I like the fact that it is a sealed unit and I also like the fact that I don't have to mess about with adding acid etc.

added the battery last night, turned the engine over for about 30 seconds and BOOM - back in business. - I haven't had the car out since VE Day last year. !!

thanks again for the advice and suggestions - this forum really is invaluable. I love the fact that Roy, you're literally a living Genuis on all things 356 and clearly Neil & Winston, you know your onions! - the only other topic that gets more hits from me is the Watch one, where I can drool over the rolexes and Tags that are for sale...

Cheers
Joe
roy mawbey

Post by roy mawbey »

Well done Joe, pleased it now starts!!
Roy
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

roy mawbey wrote:Well done Joe, pleased it now starts!!
Roy
might even clean the 'garage dust' off it tomorrow if it plays its cards right!

:)

have a great weekend, when it comes.

Joe