Anyone on here sold a car through BAT?

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
MikeB
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Anyone on here sold a car through BAT?

Post by MikeB »

My view on any competition car is you’ve got to be prepared to walk away from a smouldering wreck, otherwise you won’t push. Also we all know all it takes is one wheel on the grass and you off into the boonies, so I would advise against using the Boxster, if you want to keep to just polishing it ;)
Cheers

Mike

RS Rep 3.0 on Webers
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

Boxster is the easy option as I have it!
Worth about 12k, Lola worth about 25k and the 911 about 30ish, so the most disposable....
But the most expensive to fix.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

911hillclimber wrote: A stock Lola T492 will cost you 35k on the button.
Got round to browsing Race Cars Direct after reading this thread. Some interesting cars on there including a 356-engined oval Beetle. Someone is asking €70k for this T492 which is about £60k.

Without knowing what a Smith & Jones All Aluminum Cosworth YBM 2.0 Engine might make, I also wondered if this is probably the fastest 492 in the world...

https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Detai ... c-sports-r
maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

In the USA they ran these cars with hot engines in Group 6, not sure if the factory fitted the engines, but I know some cars went to HASS engine less.
I've seen the car before recently on google, the body colour and Martini stripes are exactly like mine!

At one point my Lola had a 500 bhp Ford turbo engine fitted and a Kaman Ghia body! (in Kevlar)

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Timo
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Timo »

Love that ghia body shell, probably not the most aerodynamic shape but looks great, not sure I could live with that pink though.
Burgundy 69 912
Audi A4 1.8T sport avant
VW T25 magnum multivan
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

The mounds still exist, and I was offered them to use about 10 years ago.
The shell is one piece so far too long to fit in my garage!
Pink was of course very rebellious in the late 80's...
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
camperco
DDK rules my life!

Post by camperco »

We've been thinking of selling cars on BAT too. Having bought a few cars for ourselves and several on customers behalf we are familiar with the site, the process, the forum chat etc. So far everything from a $4000 Type 3 to a $400,000 Speedster has always been as described and picked over by the online experts.

I do think the car would have to be located in the USA and cleared through customs to get the best price. Otherwise your only bidders will be dealers who are familiar with the import process and can see a decent margin in it.

I've got two ex USA cars under restoration here at GWC that would probably sell better on the West Coast than in the UK. A '68 Targa L Soft window and a '65 21 window samba. As they were both previously registered in the USA it should be fairly simple to send them back and clear them through customs. If anyone knows anyone who has done this recently please let me know.

My plan is to be on holiday out there during the auction and of course for week or so afterwards.
Angus Watt http://www.greatworthclassics.co.uk

Greatworth Classics & VW Camper Company

Its a feature - not a fault sir..
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

I have no idea (so why am I commenting?), but to export from here, you'd need an importer there I would have thought to import the car, pay any duties and get it titled ad then put it up for sale, so a dealer really who would need to be paid. Interesting conundrum!

My chum who preps and restores race cars imports a few cars from the US and has a friend over there who sources cars and ships them. He's an ex-pat who has lived in the US for a long time. I'll ask him and see what he thinks. He's just a family friend/benefactor so not a dealer.

Graham
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

The shipping issues are significant for the 'privateer' and a real turn-off unless the car is right:
What is wanted
Cheap.
BAT seems to be a weak option, but this is why I asked in the first place.

I have only sold a vehicle 'on line' 3 times, both 2 wheels, all advertised in England, stayed in England. I lead a very sheltered life..

The recent run of the Lola on the rolling Road has pepped me up no end and out of the doldrums TBH, so I hope this car will stay with me for another year/season.

Angus: you have a pm on another subject.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9