2.7 911S oil temp

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Alberto
DDK Newbie

2.7 911S oil temp

Post by Alberto »

Recently acquired a 77 911s 2.7.
The engine had been completely rebuilt 1000 miles ago.
I couldn’t get a reading on the dip stick or gauge with a hot engine, so not knowing what oil or how much was in there, today I changed it.
After dropping the oils from tank and sump (I measure that only 9ltrs came out) from a hot engine. I then added 8.5ltrs, took it for a 10 mile drive, parked back up on level ground (Engine running) them topped up to get the gauge to around 2pm and above half of the dipstick.
Took for another blast and all levels seem ok now.
My question is driving around in today’s temperature circa 7*, would the oil thermostat have opened and feed oil up the cooler pipes or not. Feeling the cooler pipe coils under the front wing it was stone cold.

Does that sound right?
Yorkshire born, Yorkshire bred, strong in the arm and thick in the middle leg
Alberto
DDK Newbie

Re: 2.7 911S oil temp

Post by Alberto »

Forgot to add, after top up, 11ltrs went in, in total
Berny
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Berny »

Is it a Sporto? they nead more oil!
1971 Targa Sportomatic in Green 1972 2.4e sunroof coupe 1990 964 C2 Member no 82
Alberto
DDK Newbie

Post by Alberto »

Berny wrote:Is it a Sporto? they nead more oil!
No, stock manual Berny.
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

If this helps:
I have a 73T with a stock 3.2 in it, trombone front cooler, all 2.7 cooling, pipes exposed down the side sill etc, I suspect just like yours.

The side pipes can take a very long time to 'open'. There is a remote stat by the rear suspension torsion bar arm that controls that flow to the front, and on my car it rarely opens, esp in this cool ambient temperature. Stuck in traffic in the summer it will open and work well.

I changed my oil (I've had the car 30+ years) and the run-up after the change saw the side pipes stone cold, after a run, still stone cold.

You have done everything right, dip stick level 1/2 way between max/min when hot.

To me, HOT is when the filter body inside the engine bay feels very warm, getting to untouchable.

My engine swallowed about 10 litres refilling. The 3.2 may need a touch more than the 2.7 but my basic cooling system is 2.7 throughout.

Temperature gauge reads 180F when HOT on these cool days, side pipes cool just opening, 190F sweating in summer traffic, even hotter on a few occasions.
Graham.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Alberto
DDK Newbie

Post by Alberto »

911hillclimber wrote:If this helps:
I have a 73T with a stock 3.2 in it, trombone front cooler, all 2.7 cooling, pipes exposed down the side sill etc, I suspect just like yours.

The side pipes can take a very long time to 'open'. There is a remote stat by the rear suspension torsion bar arm that controls that flow to the front, and on my car it rarely opens, esp in this cool ambient temperature. Stuck in traffic in the summer it will open and work well.

I changed my oil (I've had the car 30+ years) and the run-up after the change saw the side pipes stone cold, after a run, still stone cold.

You have done everything right, dip stick level 1/2 way between max/min when hot.

To me, HOT is when the filter body inside the engine bay feels very warm, getting to untouchable.

My engine swallowed about 10 litres refilling. The 3.2 may need a touch more than the 2.7 but my basic cooling system is 2.7 throughout.

Temperature gauge reads 180F when HOT on these cool days, side pipes cool just opening, 190F sweating in summer traffic, even hotter on a few occasions.
Graham.
Alberto
DDK Newbie

Post by Alberto »

Thanks Graham, glad it appears to be the norm then in these March temperatures.

I was thinking the thermostat was goosed,

I’ll check the dill pipes and trombone coils on warmer driving days.

Cheers