OT: land/property/building expertise

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Hugh Jorgan
Married to the DDK

Re: OT: land/property/building expertise

Post by Hugh Jorgan »

My current place is a new build, and I've also built a few others.
It's the speed of reaction that I think lets it down.
I'm happy to have it as a foot warmer, and I do have it. I have had it as a primary heat source as well in the past.
Last week it was minus 3 in the morning, +14 degrees by lunchtime then minus 1 by late afternoon here.
It's not possible for UFH to react that quickly. Such a swing in temps is fairly extreme, but we do get some big temp changes over the course of a spring/early summer day.
We do have some pretty arty/architectural rads in the house which I really like.
I'm just happy to have the choice.:-)
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

That’s outside air temperature. If the temperature in your house rises and falls the same as the outside temperature you have forgotten to build your walls at all, never mind insulate them. :)
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
SeanP
I luv DDK!

Post by SeanP »

There is always air leakage in a building!
Insulation is there to slow the transfer of energy to balance into a steady state! The more U value the slower the transfer.

Building regs are the minimum requirement allowed by law. Always better to exceed the regs! But that adds cost. It’s all a balancing act, or as we like to call it value engineering.
1966 912
1969 912/6 hotish rod in build
1974 914 Dead
LI 125 Lambretta (Yeah right it’s a 125)
Mini Cooper s