Restoration of my Schuco Studio 1050 Racer

The place to post images of your other cars.

Moderator: Bootsy

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Restoration of my Schuco Studio 1050 Racer

Post by 911hillclimber »

Thought I would do a quickie on the restoration of my ebay £8 Schuco tin plate racer, c 1945 ish

Deciding what to do and not do as I go along, but want it to be different to my other Schuco's in my mini collection f these great post war toys.

The 1050 is a miniature version of the popular 1070 that had a handbrake and 2 speeds, I've a couple of them, but the 1050 is far tighter in size and design. The design is very simple in comparison, this one is in very rough condition by the elements rather than play.

Total disassembly was next, however with so much corrosion, WD40 and a blow torch did nothing, so it was down to pliers, saws and lever to fee it all off.

The spring in the motor was toast, corroded and broken to 14 pieces, the die cast cross shaft crumbled as did the wheel nuts and the wheel bushes frozen to the die cast brake hubs so musch damages ensued to split the lot.

Typical of these toys, the car has a real diff!

73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Barry

Re: Restoration of my Schuco Studio 1050 Racer

Post by Barry »

Love it!
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

:)
Thanks, I was about to leave this thread still-born just like the Honda one due to so much silence!

The Honda engine is #1 priority atm and that is still giving me jip...so it is parked in a margarine tub on the shelf.

On this Schuco, not sure what to do with the body. Plan is/was to simply clear coat over the rust.
Leaving the belly pan as it is, a picture of 'patina', that is years of use and neglect...

Looking forward to making the 4 wheels and the steering wheel that crumbled when trying to get it off.

Oddly, you can buy a new motor, new front suspension, wheels and tyres and even a new body for about £30, but that is not the point of this one.

Old Schuco's come in handy like this episode today: This red 1070 model was a Xmas present 60 yeas ago and totally responsible for my interest in cars. :drunken:

The winding key is the exact size to adjust the Honda tappets with.

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
jonno1
I luv DDK!

Post by jonno1 »

Fantastic stuff - you must have the patience of a saint!
1958 356A Coupe
987 Gen 2 Boxster
986 2.5 Boxster
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

So, 2 of the 3 Lock-Down projects are all done.

For the few who have expressed an interest, the 1050 Studio is 'restored' or better, preserved.

Bodyork cleaned and far too fragile to blast the surface rust off, so after the engine went in (non runner), the front end stub axle sorted (long nose pliers) and a nice new steering wheel (£3.50) the lower belly tub was reunited with the top shell and the tabs bent over and all treated with Ladies Hair Spray as suggested by Peter K of Projects fame.

The engine was a real mess, but after machining a new cross axle in steel reassembled saving the cost of a new one at £13.50, but I wanted to keep it matching numbers...
The later engines are wound from the OS rather than the pre-war LS so difficult to fit without a good needle file.

The seat was quite horrid, so re-upholstered in matt Humbrol Red.

Managed to find new Michelin tyres, original knobbly tread for best traction if the might of the spring was abruptly released.

Wheels were shot, but not wanting to buy new, machined some nylon discs with a wider track at the rear.

Final bling came from NOS Merc knock off wheel nuts.

OK, a bit of fun to add to the Schuco collection.

Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Cracking :thumbright:
sladey

Post by sladey »