123 Distributor / Drop in Performance

Need some help with a technical problem - ask away and let's see if we can all help.

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Nige

Kenyon
Married to the DDK

123 Distributor / Drop in Performance

Post by Kenyon »

Hi all

Hope you are well. Appreciate a similar question was posted a while back but any thoughts welcome.

I had a 123 Distributor (non-bluetooth) put on my 356B a while back. Its a quality product and am generally very happy with it. Particularly as it has eliminated a series of problems I had with 6 volt condenser quality. I set the curve on the unit per the instructions and it was installed by a mechanic familiar with the it.

However, I have noticed that there has been a drop off in performance at the top end of the revs. The car won't rev as highly as before.

So the car will tick along absolutely fine, but I seem to lose power going up a hill and need to drop down the gears when previously it would pull just fine.

The new distributor went on at the same time as a push rod and tube were replaced. I am assuming the drop in performance is most likely ignition related.

Any thoughts welcome.

Phil
Phil

1960 356B Silver
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Re: 123 Distributor / Drop in Performance

Post by Mike Smith »

I am assuming the drop in performance is most likely ignition related.
The definition of `Assumption` is - `The start of a cock up`
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

Hi Phil, I see you've had the 123 fitted for 3 years or so. No idea how many miles you've done in that time but my first port of call would be to check the condition of rotor arm and cap.

If the rotor and cap looks OK.... maybe it's time to tune your car. Start by adjusting the valves. Then move onto the ignition:- plugs, leads, timing etc. Finish off with tuning the carbs. Being thorough and methodical is the only sure way to deal with the gremlins. You'll find clear instructions for these procedures on the 356 Registry website under Resources/Articles.
Kenyon
Married to the DDK

Post by Kenyon »

Mike Smith wrote:
I am assuming the drop in performance is most likely ignition related.
The definition of `Assumption` is - `The start of a cock up`
Thanks Mike, I must have a different dictionary. I thought it was defined as: "The mother of all f'ck ups."
mycar wrote:Hi Phil, I see you've had the 123 fitted for 3 years or so. No idea how many miles you've done in that time but my first port of call would be to check the condition of rotor arm and cap.

If the rotor and cap looks OK.... maybe it's time to tune your car. Start by adjusting the valves. Then move onto the ignition:- plugs, leads, timing etc. Finish off with tuning the carbs. Being thorough and methodical is the only sure way to deal with the gremlins. You'll find clear instructions for these procedures on the 356 Registry website under Resources/Articles.
Thank you that's much appreciated. Sounds like a plan.
Phil

1960 356B Silver
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Nine One One »

There are a couple of threads related to 123 ignition causing issues - all were related to the after market rotor arms and caps that they install.

They all take Bosch genuine parts so would try that first (spring falls out of the centre in the distributor cap, and the rotor arms burn out badly between the connector to the point contacts in the cap and the inbuilt resistor)
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

I see you've had the 123 fitted for 3 years or so. No idea how many miles you've done in that time but my first port of call would be to check the condition of rotor arm and cap.

A Perfect answer
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com