912 seat recline mechanism information?

An archive of any Porsche 911 technical threads

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

912 seat recline mechanism information?

Post by neilbardsley »

The drivers seat in my 912 is popping back when driving. I had a look at the mechanism and it was quite dirty so I gave a a clean with some clutch/brake cleaner. Unfortunately I didn't get the time to take our for test drive. From my quick inspect the gears looks like they are in good condition but there maybe some lateral movement looseness in the mechanism which is causing the gear to slip out? I couldn't find anything on the manual on these and can't find anything on the www. Do we have a thread where somebody has rebuild theirs or can someone point me to a link?
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Lightweight_911

Re: 912 seat recline mechanism information?

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I (vaguely) seem to remember Mick Temple including some info/photos in his 'Doctor's car' restoration thread ...
Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Lightweight_911 wrote:.
I (vaguely) seem to remember Mick Temple including some info/photos in his 'Doctor's car' restoration thread ...
Thank Andy I will have a look.

I did think about Mick when I watch looking at the problem and remembered when I had called Mick for some advice. RIP Sir
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Ian Gunney
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by Ian Gunney »

Neil,

the random seat recline is particularly annoying - I may have some spare recliners (somewhere). If you need some, I'll have a dig!

Ian
1966 912 Karmann Coupe - polo red.
1972 914/6 GT replica - 2.7 - signal orange.
1961 Standard 217 Tractor.
2003 Boxster S.
1967 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT Veloce.

http://www.redcastleclassics.com
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Ian Gunney wrote:Neil,

the random seat recline is particularly annoying - I may have some spare recliners (somewhere). If you need some, I'll have a dig!

Ian
I will test and let you know Ian. Thank you for the offer
Joelipol
Married to the DDK

Post by Joelipol »

I have the same issue with both of my seat units - over the years I have found it is not in one position either - so if I leave it (randomly reclining) it will recline through multiple positions. My thinking is it is the lever's teeth rather than the seat's (if that makes sense) but would love to see / hear of a fix. Driving me (and my passengers) mad.

Watching...
deano
I luv DDK!

Post by deano »

Sounds like it could be one of two things, and should be visible from the rear floor

1) the hook on the bottom end of the tilt release cable has lost its spring or isnt working properly, or
2) the recline position donut that slides over the teeth just above the hook, at one end of the recline position bar, is not sliding back over the teeth when the recline lever is released. Even though this has a really strong spring, I find that it can still get stuck and needs plenty of grease to work properly.

There are actually two sets of teeth, one set inside the outer seat hinge (mates to the end of a toothed spline bolt, whose teeth can crack off, and which goes through the inner hinge, and donut, and slides into the end of the rod), and the other set on the inner seat hinge to mate up with said donut (spline bolt goes through these parts).

If this doesnt make sense, I can take a pic...

Hope this helps! :cheers:
Dean
1973T Targa MFI 334 met blu- under restoration https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewt ... 28&t=67060
1980 924 Turbo, blu/grn tartan - restored
DEEMAN
DDK forever

Post by DEEMAN »

Depending on year/model. If SWB then it could be the gears are slipping out of mesh due to movement of the
actuating bar sliding forward and reducing the spring pressure. This happened on my drivers seat. I saw a article on ESR about it but cannot find it now for the life of me.
If you look at the passenger seat you will see a pin pressed through the actuating bar that holds it in place against the spring. No pin was fitted to the drivers seat so you need to drill and pop one in.
Easy fix - worked for me.
Saves the embarrassment of suddenly disappearing from view with scary results. :shock:

Ian