Fitting an ammeter?

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

silverboydreamer
DDK addict

Fitting an ammeter?

Post by silverboydreamer »

I want to fit an ammeter to my T6 B, I would like to fit an ammeter to the car, has anyone done this or knows how to do it?, looking at the wiring diagram it looks to me the best place to do this would be by breaking into the power input into the fuse board at terminal 3. By diverting the input wire to the ammeter and then returning from there to the fuse board would seem to the best and easiest way?
Any advice would be welcome
Ausfahrt mine Auspuff
Nine One One
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Fitting an ammeter?

Post by Nine One One »

Do you have a cigarette lighter socket in your car?

If so this is the easiest way to overcome having to wire in a meter, if you do an ebay search, there are plenty of variants of the same module.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LED-Car-Auto ... %3A2334524
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

That's a voltmeter, OP wants an Ammeter..... A double acting Ammeter (ie. Showing charge and discharge) would interrupt the main power feed from the battery to the fuseboard. NOT the battery cable but the smaller one on the positive battery terminal. This maybe what is being described, but I'm away from my wiring diagram at the mo.
I do wonder why though? All the best W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
silverboydreamer
DDK addict

The smaller wire from the battery is the one that goes to terminal 3 on fuse board, as to why?, why not?.
Regards dk
Ausfahrt mine Auspuff
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I had one fitted to my 356C:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
mycar

Post by mycar »

silverboydreamer
DDK addict

Thanks for info on registry, unfortunately, you need the password as they have blocked nonmembers accessing the site!
Ausfahrt mine Auspuff
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by jwhillracer »

Why fit an ammeter which involves major electrical work and heavy current cables, potentially giving a voltage drop to the whole system, when a voltmeter just needs a feed from an ignition controlled circuit, and will show you just as clearly whether your alternator/dynamo is charging or not?

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
Nine One One

Post by Nine One One »

That is exactly why I suggested the Ebay gizmo
mycar

Post by mycar »

jwhillracer wrote:Why fit an ammeter which involves major electrical work and heavy current cables, potentially giving a voltage drop to the whole system, when a voltmeter just needs a feed from an ignition controlled circuit, and will show you just as clearly whether your alternator/dynamo is charging or not?

JW
This is pretty much what all those Registry links say but there is a reference to an 'inductive ammeter' which may be a simpler option wiring wise.
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I have a ammeter on my a. It was wired between regulator b+ and battery. It explained why I had a voltage drop between the regulator and battery. When feed directly to from the regulator to battery it stopped working.

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
S.J.Szabo
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by S.J.Szabo »

Mr.Bardsley:

I hope you'll pardon my confusion, but could you clarify your post?

I take it to say that the ammeter was first installed between the batt and the regulator, but caused a voltage drop, so you wired it between the batt and the regulator and the gauge stopped working?

As to the thread, some find the ammeter to be more informative than the volt meter. Not only does one get batt and gen condition/operation, but it also shows ign-off drains.

I installed a voltmeter in The Coupe, but only because the meter was easy to adapt to the previous oil temp spot in a combo gauge, plus I was loathe to run 10ga. up and back from the regulator, with its attendant losses. But I still prefer the ammeter, a taste I acquired from driving a Triumph.
Keep 'em flying

S.J.Szabo
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Maybe I miss typed. Rather than the regulator returning directly to the battery via the big cable which feeds the starter motor it was feeding another way via the amp meter. I found this when I was chasing a voltage drop between the regulator and battery. I charged the wiring to feed directly to the battery. No longer had a voltage drop but the amp meter stopped working.

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP