Condenser change!

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Condenser change!

Post by neilbardsley »

I thought this would be a ten minutes job! What do I know! I removed the body of the distributor and lost the tiny bolt! What M size is it?

Then I tried, in vague, to remove the bolt that holds in the wire in the distributor. Next I thought ok I remove the distributor. I loosen it. Twisted it removed the 13mm bolt but although it turned it wasn't coming out! What am I doing wrong??

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
KS

Re: Condenser change!

Post by KS »

I think the small bolt is M4.

Common reasons for these distributors being reluctant to come out include the distributor clamp getting cocked at an angle and 'grabbing' the distributor as you pull it out, or the rubber O-ring becomes dry and sticks in the case. Usually gentle (I said 'gentle'...) levering under the distributor with a bent screwdriver will do the trick there.

The little bolt must be somewhere, so search around with an extendable magnet before you start ripping everything apart.

When you say you 'twisted' the distributor, do you mean you undid the clamp bolt and turned the whole assembly? In that case, you'll have to reset the timing...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Yes I reset the timing but noted where it was :)

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
middlefour1
DDK rules my life!

Post by middlefour1 »

Hi Neil, I would recommend fitting a Power Spark module, gets rid of the points and condenser. A very worthwhile improvement in my opinion.
Steve
1970 Silver 914 - Gone but never forgotten........
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

I managed to steal the bolt off another distributor I have.

Not I day for working on cars (that are outside)

Yes I think I will move to electronic ignition at some pointImage

neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Today I must ask forgiveness of the Porsche god's. I still couldn't get the distributor off to change the condenser so I cut the wire and joined in the new coil. I know this is very bad but it was a short term hack. I did learn that the wire on the old distributor was hard so it certainly does need replacing.

Anyway after reading the manual and trying their tests I confirmed the coil and distributor were working. I also removed a spark plug and saw it spark while Mrs B cranked the car. Next I thought fuel. I removed what I hope is the in pipe to the fuel pressure regulator and cranked the end only a tiny bit of fuel came out. In fact shouldn't I pressure from the fuel pump once I turn on the ignition?

I read the fuel pump is near the steering box and there is a fuse? Where about is it? Got too cold to investigate more. ImageImage

AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

Hi Neil,

the fuel pump fuse should be on the relay board within the engine compartment.
There's a link here showing the position of it and the pump relay.
http://914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=331099

I think you will find that the fuel pump is only energised for a few seconds when you turn the ignition on and then stops until the engine runs.
If you need to prime the system you can remove the top of the black fuel pump relay in the engine bay and push down on the contact to energise the pump (whilst the ignition is on).
Luckily the cap of that relay is loose on your car and pulls off to allow you to do this easily and run the pump for a few more seconds to get some flow.
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )
AndrewSlater
I luv DDK!

Post by AndrewSlater »

Forgot to say the fuel pump is at the bottom of the firewall, towards the passenger side if I remember correctly.
1966 Porsche 912 Slate Grey, red interior - first owner owned for 41 years
1974 Porsche 911 2.7 (The Manhattan project) viewtopic.php?f=28&t=51455
1973 VW 914 1.7 Olympic Blue - ( gone to a good home )
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Fuse changed but looked ok.

I am hearing the pump for a few seconds when I turn on the ignition.

Will is connected a hose again and check fuel is arriving. When my unwilling helper returns