Steering Wheel Spacer?

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

The Yellow One
DDK Newbie

Steering Wheel Spacer?

Post by The Yellow One »

Is anyone running one? I haven't been able to find one so far! I want to move the standard wheel closer to me for a bit of extra comfort/so I don't have to move the seat forward for those times when you really want to push on through the corners 8)

My arms aren't quite long enough to keep up with my gangly legs.
1973 Porsche 914
RichardJ
DDK Fanatic

Re: Steering Wheel Spacer?

Post by RichardJ »

Moving the standard wheel closer to you would not be straight forward, as the hub is riveted to the wheel. You'd have to drill the rivets out, and replace them with longer bolts, with a machined spacer between the two. I've not seen it done, but I can't think of any reason why this wouldn't work (I restored the wheel for my project not long ago, so the details are still reasonably fresh in my memory). It woundn't affect the horn button, as that all attached from the other side of the wheel, also with rivets which would have to be removed. I replaced these rivets with screws while restoring mine, just to make restoring parts with different finishes easier.
Moving the wheel closer to you is much easier with an aftermarket 'Momo' type wheel, as the hub bolts to the wheel, and spacers are available (all Momo wheel use the same bolt pattern, so the spacer fit any car with a Momo wheel)
Regards,

RichardJ

1975 California spec 914 1.8 restoration project
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

A steering wheel with a built-in spacer was available as an option for the early 911 models (referred to as an 'extended hub' wheel) but there wasn't an equivalent version available for 914 models.

If you wanted to copy this arrangement for a 380mm 914 wheel (as outlined by Richard) you'd also need to use (or fabricate) a longer spring-loaded horn contact pin.

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
RichardJ
DDK Fanatic

Post by RichardJ »

I didn't realise there was a 'longer' 911 version of the wheel available. Later 914's don't have the spring loaded pin for the horn contact. I am not sure when they changed, but my '75 uses VDM slip ring (VW part number 113415660A), which has a wire to the horn contact instead of the pin.
It looks like Aase make such an extension kit https://www.aasesales.com/products/h6k-f56-100w-105158 . It's price is absurdly expansive given that it is just a simple turned spacer and some screws though. Strange, as I've found Aase's prices to be pretty good when buying from them before.
Regards,

RichardJ

1975 California spec 914 1.8 restoration project
NurLinks
DDK Fanatic

Post by NurLinks »

Tech 9 (PH9 on this forum) used to supply spacers+pins for the 911 f-model. I have a 50mm on my 911, which I'm really happy with. Ask him if he (still) has them and if they fit a 914.

I don't know whether these are more economical than the ones offered by Aase, however.
1986 911 3.3 Turbo, 1973 911 RSR Replica, 1974 FIA spec 3.0 RSR (in progress)
1993 928GTS, 1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Flat 6
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Flat 6 »

Looking at that Aase product, you have to drill new holes. If you are prepared to do that then you can fit a momo hub and any sort of additional spacer you like. Demon Tweaks do different length spacers.

Haven't seen it done though and obviously would look non-original.

Al.
DDK#732

1981 SC Coupe, now in Dublin
1978 SC Targa, now in Aberdeen
1978 SC Coupe, now in London
1983 SC Coupe, now in London
1973 2.4T...under restoration...VERY slow restoration.