Headlights like candles??????

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

Peter Roberts
Married to the DDK

Headlights like candles??????

Post by Peter Roberts »

Just took the SC out for a run in the dark for the first time in years. Candles are an exaggeration for the light i was getting out. My eyesight might have deteriorated a bit but with new H4 bulbs and a fully reconditioned dynamo the 6 volt system is totally inadequate. What are my best options for improving this such as fitting LED bulbs and if so where can i source them from.
356SC
911T
Wide bodied 3.2 Carrera Targa ( cashing in pension now sold)
928GTS (now sold)
Carrera C4S ( now sold)
Carrera 4 with Techart ( now sold)
944 race carfor track days ( Now sold )
1978 Mini Clubman Estate restoration complete
356Monkey
DDK Fanatic

Re: Headlights like candles??????

Post by 356Monkey »

Hi, There was a good post back at the beginning of the year on this topic titled '356 LED bulbs' which would be worth reading. I assume your car is 6 volt? This was my post on the topic before

I bought a pair of the LED headlight bulbs from http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com, they look like a really well made product but at £175 for a pair they should be. Unfortunately I ended up sending them back as the are supplied with an adaptor ring which supposedly 'enables a P43t LED bulb to be used in a P45t fitting' however on closer inspection i realised that I would have to also grind down and re model the 3 lugs on the mounting ring on the new bulbs too to allow them to sit into the bulb holder and allow it to push and twist on. For me this was a bridge too far, I don't mind a bit of hard work but clearly I'd void any opportunity to return them once I start grinding bits off to make them fit. Hopefully someone will make a proper 6volt LED lamp unit that fits the 356 headlamp.
1964 Porsche 356c (RHD)
1957 Vespa GS 150 VS3
1960 Vespa GS 150 VS5
1960 Lambretta Li125
1963 Lambretta Li150 series 3
1962 Lambretta TV175
1966 Lambretta SX200
mycar
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by mycar »

Hello Peter, I've fitted LEDs all round on my A from Classic Dynamo and Regulator and they all work well.

It seems the LED market is constantly changing with regular upgrades and improvement so if you can't see what you want on the website I would email them with your requirements and I'm sure they'll be able to help.

http://www.dynamoregulatorconversions.c ... s-shop.php

Here's some info on this 356 Registry thread, with me struggling to understand the installation.

http://forum.porsche356registry.org/vie ... =1&t=37564&
Mike Smith
DDK rules my life!

Post by Mike Smith »

Buy a Fibreglass brush from RS Compnents and clean every electrical connection on the car - particularly Earth Connections

Installing Relays in the Headlight Bowls will also improve things

What condition are the Reflectors in ?

Thought for the day
A Quick Fix Seldom Works
Mike at P.R.S.
www.prs356.com
Peter Roberts
Married to the DDK

Post by Peter Roberts »

Just restored the car when all the electrics were overhauled and connections cleaned. Headlight units are brand new H4 conversiions.
There is nothing wrong with the lights except being 6v they are very dim. High beam is less than 100 yds which is not good.
356SC
911T
928GTS (now sold)
Carrera C4S ( now sold)
Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

keep it 6v &...

maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.
Peter Roberts
Married to the DDK

Post by Peter Roberts »

Just purchased a set of LED bulbs from Classic Car LED's. Fitting was straight forward and at £85.00 well worth the money. Fitting instructions were supplied but i needed some additional information and they were very helpful sending me further instructions. I can now see where i am going which is very helpful.
I am still eating carrots and leafy green veg so night driving will now be a pleasure.
356SC
911T
928GTS (now sold)
Carrera C4S ( now sold)
Kenyon
Married to the DDK

Post by Kenyon »

Hi Peter. I think I might try some LEDs for my 356. These look like just the thing. I'm assuming the link below is to the bulbs you bought.

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collec ... rsion-5-9v

Did you find a place to put the control unit?

Very interested to hear how you are getting on with these so any update appreciated.
Phil

1960 356B Silver
Peter Roberts
Married to the DDK

Post by Peter Roberts »

The control boxes are on a short lead from the bulb. There is plenty of room in the headlamp bowl for it to fit. It was a simple plug in and switch on although you do have to orientate the bulb after fitting to get the right cutoff. They supply cable ties to retain it which i put around the bowl retaining clips. I think it also included extension cables ( which i did not use) if you want to put them outside the bowl. It all comes in a bespoke foam lined presentation box with instructions. A very professional operation.
I think the link is correct but i got them from ebay
356SC
911T
928GTS (now sold)
Carrera C4S ( now sold)
Kenyon
Married to the DDK

Post by Kenyon »

Great thanks. Much appreciated. Will check the product with the vendor before buying.
Phil

1960 356B Silver