New 914 owner

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

New 914 owner

Post by neilbardsley »

Can anyone help on some of the issues I'm trying to solve in our new car?

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
jwhillracer
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Re: New 914 owner

Post by jwhillracer »

Can you post normally please Neil for those of us who don’t do Tapatalk?

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber 3.2 MFI. Part of the family for 30+ years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT (Greyhound Transport!)
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

How do I get access to the coupling between the front and rear gear linkage rods? In my 356 there is a panel behind the rear seats?

Do I need to remove that black panel? Or do I have to access from under the car?Image

KS

Post by KS »

Yes, you need to remove that panel – it may be that you'll need to remove the seats and backpad first. Either way, that's the only access to the linkage. Welcome to the (often inaccessible) world of the 914...
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
RichardJ
DDK Fanatic

Post by RichardJ »

If it is a late 914 with a side shift gearbox ('73 and later models have the superior 'side shift'gear change mechanism if I remember right), the coupling between the front and rear sections of shift rod is accessed from underneath. It is a flexible coupling housed in a rubber boot which clips over a flange on the firewall (similar to the flexible coupling at the front of the gearbox on a '70's Beetle if you're familliar with them). The front section of shift rod from the gear shift goes right through the firewall, supported by a plastic bush, with just enough sticking out for the coupling to attach with a grub screw.
You should be able to see the plastic bush which supports the front shift rod section at the firewall through the little black removable hatch between the seats (either with a mirror of by looking at a very shallow angle, as the bush is about 70mm behind the back of the hatch. However, if you need to replace the bush, it is removed and fitted from underneath.
On early models with the 'tail shift' gear change mechanism, there is more to the joint at the firewall between the front and rear shift rod sections than a flexible coupling - it's a little mechanism housed in a larger rubber boot.
Regards,

RichardJ

1975 California spec 914 1.8 restoration project
neilbardsley

Post by neilbardsley »

Thank you. It's the post 73 type. I've found out that the thread on the coupling after the fire wall is crossed.
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app