Value of a 996 needing some work

A place to discuss Porsche cars (and others) for sale in the general market
Ollie
I luv DDK!

Value of a 996 needing some work

Post by Ollie »

There's a 996 c2 convertible (auto) I've seen that needs a new front wing, bumper and a few other cosmetic bits. Its done about 65,000 miles and will have limited history if any... I'm thinking to having a punt on it.

It looks like the front wing and bumper took a large scrape (headlight etc intact) rather than a full impact. The airbags are still intact.

Considering the above and and potential parts/repair bill (independent garage) I'm thinking of offering £4k.... am I off the mark here?

Cheers,

Ollie
misteralz
DDK forever

Re: Value of a 996 needing some work

Post by misteralz »

If I had such a spec of car I'd pay someone 4k to take it away, yes.
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

Sounds like £1500 to repair. Then worth £10-12k? I might go £5k if I was really short of stuff to do. But only if I could drive it to be sure the engine and box aren’t borked.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
2.4TE
DDK above all

Post by 2.4TE »

Strongly suggest you have it borescoped before you go anywhere near it.
Ask me how I know.
Dr Dave

1972 2.4 TE
2009 V8 Vantage

Guildford
Surrey
Ollie
I luv DDK!

Post by Ollie »

Thanks for the advice guys! Lets see how I get on...
Disco
DDK rules my life!

Post by Disco »

how did you get on Ollie ? seems like a decent punt - but surely you'll do the work yourself as you're pretty handy with a chisel.?

Didn't see you as a convertible kinda guy, but I think you'll look fab in it :D
Ollie
I luv DDK!

Post by Ollie »

Disco wrote:how did you get on Ollie ? seems like a decent punt - but surely you'll do the work yourself as you're pretty handy with a chisel.?

Didn't see you as a convertible kinda guy, but I think you'll look fab in it :D
No news yet Disco.... do we know each other?
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

They are easy enough to repair, my Boxster race car was Cat C with very similar damage. It was a little easier by having a donor car, but to be honest parts are so plentiful that you should be able to get a colour matched wing and bumper saving on paint costs.

The expensive bits are the plastic cowlings behind the bumper that duct air to the oil coolers etc, but even these should be fairly easily sourced.

It is definitely worth it. The Boxster had a £7500 insurance estimate with a value of £5500 at the time of the accident, and I bought it for £2k. I repaired it for £1500 including the donor car, and then sold a load of bits, so was under £750 net repair costs! So it worked out about half what it was worth for carrying the Cat C baggage. It was made sweeter still when I found a £4500 engine receipt that was only 3m old...!

Good luck with it
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony