Considering buying a 993 - advice welcome!

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

vwgillybilly
DDK slapper chatter

Re: Considering buying a 993 - advice welcome!

Post by vwgillybilly »

Thanks for the input! My rationale is that even despite loving my 356 I can’t put my pride & joy in it safely - my 2 1/2 year old boy. I know the 993 is still a compromise & no people carrier but it’s safer in the sense it has ‘proper’ 3 point belts.

Yes I’m still looking. Viewed 6 cars now with prices ranging from 36 - 50k.

Nathan thanks for the link - I viewed the car last week. A nice car & although well modded a bit too unoriginal for me. Plus the noise of the box through the RS flywheel was uneasy on me! Also painted front chassis rails & no ID sticker - bad sign? Plus reallly didn’t like the C2S stick on dials.

Mike - your car is my favourite 993 C2, I’ve read your thread twice - I’d love that car! I see your point about colours, white being a favourite. I’ve been to Paul Stephens & viewed 3 there & 911 virgin has a lovely C2 in red(!) but I’ve decided my budget is 50k tops really. The Paul Stephens 6 month comprehensive warranty is reassuring too, though he only has the white car in budget & I don’t wavt Polar silver. As for maintenance I mean oil changes for oil changes sake & stufff like that. I built both of my 356s from the ground up & like to be involved & know the condition of parts etc.

Viewed a super-cheap varioram with 101k in Cardiff last week. 36k but when I got there the service history had been ‘lost’ & no under bonnet sticker though he had photos of the history books. It had been through some big names so I should’ve done my homework first. It sold the same afternoon. Could’ve been a bargain? I was worried about it being a ringer.

The worse I’ve viewed was a 80k miles £43k car which was on Autotrader. I hung my hat on it based on the description & the seller sounding genuine & enthusiastic. Stank of damp, wipers didn’t work, tyres were 10 years old & perished, clutch pedal didn’t return properly & the steering pulled. Last service inspection wasn’t great too, mentioned lots of corrosion of heat exchangers & exhaust. The interior had a couple of repairs & the service book was packed with receipts for air fresheners & carpet cleaner. Curbed my enthusiasm somewhat, especially after feeling like I’d missed the bargain of the year with the Cardiff car.

Gill
1959 356A UK RHD AFN no. 400

1962 Porsche - Diesel Junior 109
vwgillybilly
DDK slapper chatter

Post by vwgillybilly »

Purchase made.

1994 C2 in Grand Prix White from Paul Stephens. 84K, Sports seats & full 6 month warranty. Just featured on he front of Porsche & 911 world. It was the best & most original in the price range I'd seen. Got a bit off the price which helped seal the deal.

Collect it in two weeks. Thanks for the advice.

Gill
1959 356A UK RHD AFN no. 400

1962 Porsche - Diesel Junior 109
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

They look great in White - congrats
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Tp81
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Tp81 »

Nice, don't even see it advertised. 993 :) I am biased.

Enjoy
DDK#694
912Flyer
DDK above all

Post by 912Flyer »

vwgillybilly wrote:Purchase made.

1994 C2 in Grand Prix White from Paul Stephens. 84K, Sports seats & full 6 month warranty. Just featured on he front of Porsche & 911 world. It was the best & most original in the price range I'd seen. Got a bit off the price which helped seal the deal.

Collect it in two weeks. Thanks for the advice.

Gill
Didn't see any pictures of the car? Did you post any?

Mike
1967 912
1994 993
2006 987 S
Mini Cooper S
Cooper MK9
Lotus Elan Sprint
Alfa Romeo GTA-R