Vintage Voltage on Quest.

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Vintage Voltage on Quest.

Post by 911hillclimber »

Can't escape you have to generate the power somewhere, and sounds like demand will be...demanding to fulfil.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
912uk

Post by 912uk »

We are connected to a nuclear power station in France.

This new cable was installed last year with connections to the mainland this year almost complete. With our own home grown power from solar and wind farm we are one of the few countries in the world that has a constant ( well ok we have had a great summer ) WIND.

what makes me mad is the lack of investment in tide power.. OMG if some one could lock the investment in. we would have no need for France !!!
mycar

Post by mycar »

This is a pretty compelling argument against the whole concept of clean electric transportation for the masses.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tilakdoshi ... 8b1940650b

Apologies for the Forbes link but once you've white listed it and dismissed all the pop ups it's worth a read.
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by 23e Heure »

mycar wrote:This is a pretty compelling argument against the whole concept of clean electric transportation for the masses.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/tilakdoshi ... 8b1940650b

Apologies for the Forbes link but once you've white listed it and dismissed all the pop ups it's worth a read.
My shares in a hydrogen fuel cell tech company surged from 36p to 367p in less than a year to May.
Settled to 260p now, but kicking myself for offloading most of them a year before that surge.
You see, I bought them over 10 years ago, and had finally come to think I’d invested in BetaMax instead of VHS (if you get my drift).

But now people are looking closer at EV’s true environmental cost, alternatives like hydrogen are back on trend.
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

^ Every article I’ve ever seen slamming EVs misses one key point. Right now we are using batteries as power but if we go to hydrogen etc, WE WILL STILL NEED electric drives and all the other systems that have been developed for Battery EVs. This is not wasted effort. The future of high efficiency drivetrains and vehicle systems is electric, regardless of power source.

Case in point. Electric AC uses one fifth of the power of mechanical. If we stand any chance of surviving on this planet, we need to make every Joule count.
Sam

Post by Sam »

Video 2000 could record both sides of the tape. It was better tech than VHS or Betamax.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
23e Heure
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Vintage Voltage on Quest.

Post by 23e Heure »

Yeah Sam, but that meant getting up off the beanbag, nearly knocking over the bong, to turn the tape over.
That’s why they invented LongPlay record.
It didnt matter that the quality was halved with LP: you couldn’t tell after that bong anyway.

And don’t get me started on Laserdiscs.
Rolled up 50s always slid off the shiny surface, along with the Access card
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

About 20 years ago when I was an Design Eng Director with good engineers there was a spate of arguments about all this lot coming, from irratic domestic supply to being fully independent for Volts.

Tidal power was on top of the agender esp as north sea gas/oil was ebbing, and we would soon have a very competent but redundant capability in east Scotland, people who understood machines in the sea and how to build sea-proof machines and maintain them.

There was talk of this being Scotland's very opportunity to power the UK, maybe beyond to Europe. A Minister for this very objective was to be installed and Scotland and investors should Get On With It.
Submerged tidal machines in and around Scotland's dramatic tidal 'fiords' was key, they had everything to hand, just money was missing.

Nothing. No action, what a wasted opportunity now as we litter the UK with windmills hoping for a breeze..

Tidal is a certain as day n night and risk free of pollution, generators easy to multiply and loose in the sea, UK people employed in many aspects of the infrastructure.

Few talk openly about the world moving to power stations and the demand growing not just for cars, A/C in homes too.
People are blind to this problem and thing it just happens, it is always there, it is clean in the UK because we import the juice and do not generate the dross, but are dependent on others who may not always be friendly.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Sam

Post by Sam »

Peak energy demand was something like 2005 and it continues to drop.

Cars will mainly be plugged in overnight.

Appliances will continue to get more efficient.

The grid seems confident there’s no pending issue.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Maybe, but they would say that?
Overnight charge, day charge whatever, but the demand will rise, and a power source has to be found to meet that demand, time of charge only affects the peak of that demand, spreading it out is nice, but you still have to consume or find the primary source to feed out to people.

If there was good news wouldn't there be a program or 3 about it as that would encourage more people to Go Electric?
I have yet to find a story that says there is no power shortage looming.
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Tosh
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Tosh »

So, did Jonny ever finish his ‘14? The episode ended with the car still in Wales but I cannot fund a “what happened next”

Loved the Ronal wheels. Did I recognise the renderings as Jury’s work?
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

Moggie was only adding the electric motor and doing the respray. The car is back with Jonny, has SC front suspension and is getting a raft of electric goodies (such as power steering).

Not sure how much of this particular cat Jonny wants to let out of the bag, but you could always visit ClassicRetrofit and have a sneaky look.

Time for a thread Jonny
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
Jonny Hart
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Jonny Hart »

PeterK wrote:Moggie was only adding the electric motor and doing the respray. The car is back with Jonny, has SC front suspension and is getting a raft of electric goodies (such as power steering).

Not sure how much of this particular cat Jonny wants to let out of the bag, but you could always visit ClassicRetrofit and have a sneaky look.

Time for a thread Jonny
Yes, it’s about time to start letting a paw or a tail poke out of said bag.

Lots of car was done ‘for telly’, but the end concept will be quite different. I have probably bitten off more than I can chew but the car will be at Boxengasse in August.
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

I suppose it is air cooled?
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Sam wrote:Peak energy demand was something like 2005 and it continues to drop.

Cars will mainly be plugged in overnight.

Appliances will continue to get more efficient.

The grid seems confident there’s no pending issue.
Yep. And at the realistic rate of adoption of EVs there's still time to beef up where required. Local installation of infrastructure (for those who can't easily charge at home, meaning a fair chunk of London's population) is more of an issue than overall capacity.

BTW one of my favourite ideas in this area is to think of the EVs as a big battery and a computer (which they are), all plugged into the grid for quite a lot of the time. They can be a storage and supply mechanism as well as a source of demand. Charge them all up at times of low demand, then (for those whose algorithm / stated preference says they can spare the juice today), some can supply during times of high demand. It's not the case that everyone's EV is going to need to be topped up to the full 250+ miles of range all day every day.
Very do-able, and will happen if needed.