Some advice please on roads around the Scottish Borders

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Tp81
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Some advice please on roads around the Scottish Borders

Post by Tp81 »

I am hoping someone can offer some advice on roads / routes to take and explore around and near the Scottish Borders.

My annual road trip is early September (delayed from May), this year rather than the usual trip up the West coast of Scotland we are travelling from Glasgow to Fauhope Country House in Melrose. This will be the base for two nights, the intention is to explore the roads around the Scottish Borders and venture into the North of England.

Can anyone suggest some good roads and recommend some routes?

Thanks in advance

Tom
DDK#694
hot66

Re: Some advice please on roads around the Scottish Borders

Post by hot66 »

Might be too far south, but Co Durham and northern Dales.... the whole triangle area between Hexham, Alston and Barnard castle is awesome moorland fast stuff with no cameras , inc nenthead etc ... good run is to head from Alston to Middleton in teesdale , then to brough, then to more technical, rougher narrow roads to tan hill, reeth, leyburn and onto Masham ... loads of tourist stuff to do as well
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Just reread your post .... my suggestions are maybe too far.

How about Melrose cross country to Alston, then down to Middleton in teesdale, then to Stanhope, then edmundbyers/ blanchland , back to Hexham and back up to Melrose
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

James thanks for this. I will have a look online and get a feel for the distance. Really appreciate you coming back to me. I have driven around the Hexham area on many occasions having had to make a weekly run to Sunderland with my son years ago. Stunning landscape. Just need to get a feel for what’s feasible.
DDK#694
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

Head north-west to Leadburn, with a pit stop at Peebles. turn left down the A701 all the way to Moffat passing the “devil’s beeftub”, head East back to Melrose.

Go East to Duns. Turn North to Gifford via the Whiteadder reservoir. From there you can loop back east or west. Avoid the A68 / A1 if you can or watch out for the cameras.
bjmullan

Post by bjmullan »

A visit to the new Jim Clark museum and then why not try some of the rally stages?

Jim Clark Rally Stages
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

What about the Southwest Coastal 300, it’s a newer,shorter, more accessible NC500. https://www.visitsouthwestscotland.com/ ... swc300map/
one-two
DDK rules my life!

Post by one-two »

Hi Tom, not so much roads, but way points. The Jim Clark Museum has a guide to a few local landmarks. I visited them a few years back when they were not at all signposted. There is the Museum itself, the grave at Chirnside, the farmhouse at Edington Main and, my favourite, the old airfield/racetrack at Charterhall. Maybe you have visited before, but, if not, Charterhall is a very evocative place. From memory, it was the scene of his first race win in the 356. Post some of your great photos when you get back!
Robert Barrie Limited
+44 7775 518337
info@robertbarrielimited.com
www.robertbarrielimited.com
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Ian Comerford wrote:What about the Southwest Coastal 300, it’s a newer,shorter, more accessible NC500. https://www.visitsouthwestscotland.com/ ... swc300map/
Thank you for sharing that looks very interesting

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
bjmullan

Post by bjmullan »

Ian Comerford wrote:What about the Southwest Coastal 300, it’s a newer,shorter, more accessible NC500. https://www.visitsouthwestscotland.com/ ... swc300map/
Contains one of my favourite sections of road, the hillclimb out of Ballantrae, also the electric brae and you can stop for a cup of tea with Mike (210bhp) on route :cheers:
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Ian Comerford
I luv DDK!

Post by Ian Comerford »

bjmullan wrote:
Contains one of my favourite sections of road, the hillclimb out of Ballantrae, also the electric brae and you can stop for a cup of tea with Mike (210bhp) on route :cheers:
That’s good to hear, thank you. We were considering doing this in September after having to cancel the Angouleme Circuit des Remparts trip, a UK-based consolation!
hot66

Post by hot66 »

As nice as Dumfries & Ayrshire are .. you cant really compare it to the NC500 though as the one thing the NC500 has that pretty much no where else on mainland britain has is the views & the grand scale of the countryside :cheers: 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

stichill99
DDK Fanatic

Post by stichill99 »

Tom I would leave Gattonside and head East for Smailholm village . Stop off on the way to look at Scott's view. Sir Walter's favourite view which is stunning with the river Tweed in the foreground and the Eildon hills behind. Through Smailholm and head for Kelso. A quick look around the French style square and then head for Greenlaw and across to Duns. Jim Clark room is a must if you have never been before.
I would then head for Coldstream down through Berwickshire. Lots of roads that criss cross. Across the Tweed and head a few miles South until you come to Ford and Etal village where I would head across Northumberland to Bamburgh Castle. There are other nice beaches but the castle is quite stunning and is extra special.
Heading back to Gattonside I would head back through Chatton(good pub food), Wooler., Yetholm,Morebattle, Crailing and onto the A68 which will take you back up to St Boswells/Melrose.
One thing is there will still be a large amount of Agricultural vehicles still on the roads in September and I would avoid single track roads. Some of the main roads are narrow enough in places. Hope this is of some use.
Tp81

Post by Tp81 »

Thanks for all the suggestions, really helpful. I will go through these on google maps and make up some routes. I haven’t been to the Jim Clark Museum, I remember seeing the details when it opened.

Fingers crossed we get some good weather.

Modern cars but will be fun. My 993 is the oldest car in the group.

Tom
DDK#694
Tosh

Post by Tosh »

Langholm to Innerliethen is a nice road. Well, it wasn't unpleasant to cycle
02 986 Boxster
68 T Sporto (sold)
91 964 C2 Tip (sold)