Tourneau Speedster Clinic Speedster

Replica owners or enthusiasts are very welcome

Moderator: Bootsy

eastwood
DDK Newbie

Tourneau Speedster Clinic Speedster

Post by eastwood »

So, been on here a while watching and finally have started my Speedster Clinic 356 Speedster build :wink:

Based on a Speedster Clinic Speedster I looked around at many suppliers but felt this was the best kit for my project and build on the market. Gary was a huge help and has been great source of knowledge on how to do things.

I settled for a 356 Speedster based on a shortened VW Chassis.
I also bagged a rather special front suspension while I was there 8)
Got the Chassis converted to IRS while being shortened
Front will be disc brakes with drums on the rear
Got a 1500 IRS box and a stock 1600 engine but with a full EFI custom setup

The plan is to run something a little different - Gary did me a great deal on a Tonneau cover, I am currently looking to see if I can run it at the same time as the roof so it just sits over. Lots to measure and look at.

So once the deal was done I arranged to meet Gary at Speedster Clinic to arrange a test fit of my rather special front suspension to my shortened VW Chassis.
We needed to test fit the beam as some parts require the chassis to be drilled before the chassis was cleaned up and painted.

The front end is from Eyeball Engineering in the USA. They are no longer in business before you think about getting one :(
It’s a full wishbone set up with adjustable damping coil over shocks and it takes a VW Golf steering rack so it will drive amazing (I hope)

I then got the completed chassis delivered just before lock down which meant I could crack on building up the chassis while the body was in production

I had loads of parts sat here ready so I was able to crack on when it arrived!

Then more recently was the big day of getting the chassis back to Gary to have the body fitted to my completed chassis along with collecting a few other parts

Got it home so the fun can begin

More updates to come, if your on Instagram - see my build account

https://www.instagram.com/356replica/

Thanks

Jon
hot66

Re: Tourneau Speedster Clinic Speedster

Post by hot66 »

welocme to ddk .. great first post :cheers:

Looks like its going to a nice build. Like that front suspension set up 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
eastwood
DDK Newbie

Post by eastwood »

hot66 wrote:welocme to ddk .. great first post :cheers:

Looks like its going to a nice build. Like that front suspension set up 8)

cheers Jame, yes I cant wait to give it a drive!
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Great first post, looking forward to updates as you go. So far the work looks top notch. Have you got a spec together? Wheels, colour, interior etc?
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
eastwood
DDK Newbie

Post by eastwood »

greg356a wrote:Great first post, looking forward to updates as you go. So far the work looks top notch. Have you got a spec together? Wheels, colour, interior etc?
Thanks

spec really only in that I want to go for the more classic look with bumpers & trim etc
Wheels for now happy with my 'baby fusch' nsu wheels - want to get them detailed at some point
engine will be my 1600 with a full efi setup, cant decide on an exhaust setup
interior, i may keep the mx5 seats after IVA not sure yet as i like them
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Very cool.

That front suspension is trick, using the original mounts and then bolting through the frame head too. Love the tonneau cover too, it’s going to be great.

I look forward to seeing it come together,

Cheers
Wayne
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
eastwood
DDK Newbie

Post by eastwood »

Here's the engine plans

so got a good used 1600 long block

The plan now is to fit a kind of home made cobbled together EFI system and make it look a little less home made 8)

Heres the motor most of the EFI kit came off

Now in the process of cleaning it up to make it less home made and improve it where I can

It uses a Rover MGF single throttle cody, with CB performance manifolds for the injectors, i have CB fuel rails coming to clean up the look.

Will run a brand new microsquirt ECU I picked up

The trigger wheel and sensor are ford :shock:
Also runs coil packs so no need for a dizzy.
hopefully will look unique when done ad a little less messy plus should be a nice motor to drive
rhd racer
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by rhd racer »

Don’t ask me why I was thinking about your suspension overnight, but I was....

Probably worth getting a part code off the ball joints whilst everything is clean so you can replace down the line when needed, otherwise maintenance will be a nightmare unless the set up is known!
93 964 C2
99 Boxster 2.5 > 2.7 hill climber

71 914/6 3.0 - gone

'You see Paul, hill climbing is like making love to a beautiful woman. You get your motor running, check your fluids, hang on tight and WHOA..30 seconds later it's all over!' Swiss Tony
eastwood
DDK Newbie

Post by eastwood »

rhd racer wrote:Don’t ask me why I was thinking about your suspension overnight, but I was....

Probably worth getting a part code off the ball joints whilst everything is clean so you can replace down the line when needed, otherwise maintenance will be a nightmare unless the set up is known!
Probably cos its a nice bit of kit :lol:

yes good point, could be interesting as the beam came from the USA so lets hope its not some weird ball joint!