Original paint colour v change and impact on value

Porsche 356 Virtual home

Moderators: 58A - 71E, Helen

greg356a
I luv DDK!

Original paint colour v change and impact on value

Post by greg356a »

Morning,
Starting a program to refresh my late 1959 356A coupe RHD. The original external colour was Silver with red interior. The paint on the car is not the original.

So the question is repaint in original code Silver or change to Slate grey (option available in 1960) and impact on future value if any, what are your views?

Car is not wholly original, fitted with twin circuit master brake cylinder, later SC disc brakes, drive shafts and 5.5 x 15 Fuchs (1968 date matched) and a later B hood. Most of this work I did 20 years ago with parts that were available at the time.

Comments / thoughts appreciated.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
1957 3.2 Speedster replica
yoda
I need to get out more!

Re: Original paint colour v change and impact on value

Post by yoda »

Silver looks lovely on a 356!
The force is strong in this one ......
redrobin911
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by redrobin911 »

In my opion the original colour of a car is more important the more original the car is, modified cars less so. The value of any car is taken in the round, i.e. what it is at the time. My 67S was originally special order silver but then re painted a few times, when I repainted I resisted painting silver and kept the paint scheme when last raced.
65 911 FIA race car
66 911 RHD restoration
67 911S LHD
74 911 Carrera 2.7 US Spec
79 Aistream Excella 28 MH
97 Bimota Vdue
14 KTM 690R Duke
83 RD350 YPVS
08 Ducati M900
00 Ducati 996SPS
944 T, 3.2 RSR, GT3 - SOLD
Lightweight_911
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Lightweight_911 »

I would say that a colour change on 356 models - assuming it's still a 'period-correct' Porsche colour - has less effect on the value than early 911 models.

Maybe it would have more effect on original RHd models (or cars originally painted in a 'special order' colour) but I would say that painting your car Slate Grey - especially with its red interior - would have little effect on its value - in fact it might even increase its value !

All in my opinion of course ... :wink:

Andy

“Adding power makes you faster on the straights;
- subtracting weight makes you faster everywhere”
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Great comments, kinda my thinking

Silver looks good but 33% of 356A's were silver, Slate grey period colour a little unusual and with the red interior would look great. I am not selling the car having already owned it for 37 years, my son would kill me anyway! I just don't want to loose any future value.

I am also slightly worried about it looking like a plastic replica, already have one of those, ie all new parts, how to get the patina right? So its a refresh rather than restro, - paint, new floors, tidy door gaps and fresh interior with Garry at Classic FX. At this stage looking at leaving the chrome alone, which may change.

When I got the car weirdly never had any front seats, but really pleased Garry has manged to sort me out a pair.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Post by PeterK »

As you’re not selling for a while, paint it whatever pleases you now, enjoy & leave the worry about any potential repaint to your sons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Think I’d be more adventurous than slate grey.... which I suppose if you’re not careful with paints and polished finishes can look a bit ‘plastic’
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
roy mawbey
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by roy mawbey »

Personally I would have silver same code as on the indent plate on the lockpost. I like silver and red its a good combination.Probably many would not question it if it looks great another colour but, some might like me.

Roy
RHD 356A coupe super 75 106954
BD55
Married to the DDK

Post by BD55 »

Personally I think slate grey is played out....I would go for another period A colour. Meissen Blue, Black, Stone Grey? Is your 58 or 59 model year?
64 356C
greg356a
I luv DDK!

Post by greg356a »

Interesting as the comments swing back and forth. I do wonder if slate grey will go out of fashion. Over the years its been silver, white when I got it, aquamarine blue (not my choice at the time), back to silver.

BD55 its a 1959 1600S RHD matching vin and engine number. originally owned by J Ellman-Brown hence the number plate EB125 then by Arthur Sheffield, transferred to another owner in Great Badow, Essex. I found it as a teenager in Metfield Suffolk it was purchased as a parts car. I worked for the Garage owner John over the summer holiday's and managed to buy it with my dad's help.
1963 Karmann Ghia
1959 356A Coupe Outlaw
KS
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by KS »

Always fascinated by posts like this. I have to say that when I buy a car, the last thing on my mind is what it will be worth when I sell it. I buy it, sometimes mess with it to suits my tastes and, when the time comes, sell it, sometimes at a loss (which, to me, is offset by the fun times I've had with it). If I worried all the time about what it might be worth in the future, I'd never enjoy owning it.
Keith Seume
Follow on Instagram @orange914
My YouTube channel
Layercake
DDK above all

Post by Layercake »

Stone grey is a great colour
BD55
Married to the DDK

Post by BD55 »

Wow that's long term ownership! I would look at loads of pictures of the various colours and paint it whatever you prefer, I don't think value really comes into it... Can I add Heron Grey into the Mix?!
64 356C
simon james
DDK slapper chatter

Post by simon james »

I think colour is less important, if the paint is old then leave it. People nowadays love the “aged” look.
My car too has been various hues, UK RHD like yours, supplied Light Ivory, then viper green, finally silver in 1984. It still wears that paint today, complete with bubbles, scratches and various poor touch-ups. It’s subjective, you either love it or hate it.

My own opinion of what’s right or wrong changes, but there’s something nice about opting out of the “whose car is shiniest” brigade.
It doesn't matter if you speak your mind, because those that matter don't mind and those that mind don't matter.......!
Lusting after a 30/98, will settle for a 23/60.
RoscoP
DDK Fanatic

Post by RoscoP »

Hey Greg,
Paint it whatever colour you want fella, didn't do Janis Joplins cabrio any harm! My 58A was originaly silver but they're all silver so I've painted mine pre A fashion grey.....works for me. Then again, I've also put Radar wheels, Carrera look bumpers, dual circuit brakes and lowered it a tad...nothing that can't be reversed and it's my car! As long as you haven't welded daft wide arches on it or put rockets in the nosecone then go for it!

Thank you for listening.
RoscoP