Momo prototipo and Boss

For all you Porsche 914 fanatics!

Moderators: drummerboytom, MdR

THE DISCIPLE
DDK Newbie

Momo prototipo and Boss

Post by THE DISCIPLE »

Afternoon all,

Looking at getting rid of the original steering wheel and fitting a momo prototipo unless anyone has any other better options.

I have been looking at the mounting boss and seem to be getting a few different versions/codes supplied by momo. Has anyone got a code for one they have used with success. Some seem to be fully cast while others seem to have a fluted rubber boot?

Any thoughts, advice and pics would be much appreciated.

Kind regards

Scott
RichardJ
DDK Fanatic

Re: Momo prototipo and Boss

Post by RichardJ »

The cast (i.e. non collapsible) Momo boss for the 4 cylinder '72-'76 914 is part number 8002. It has a crackle black paint finish, and is reduced in diameter in the middle of the casting.
I believe Momo bosses for the earlier 4 cylinder 914 is no longer available (possibly part number 8000), and had a constant, or more constant diameter then 8002.
The sixes use a different boss due to the 911 column parts they used, where the fours used (many different combinations of) VW column parts. I am not sure what part number the boss for the sixes is. I am reasonably sure Momo didn't make a collapsible boss for the '72 - '76 (the collapsible ones are the ones with the rubber boot). One of the VW bosses has both the correct spline and the correct horn slip ring fitment, but thy are positioned differently relative to one another, so cannot be used on a '72 - '76 914 .
Someone else may well have made a collapsible boss for 914's though (certain OMP VW bosses look so identical to the Momo equivalents that you'd think they were both made by the same supplier).
Regards,

RichardJ

1975 California spec 914 1.8 restoration project