New member & 911T

Well don't be shy let us know about yourselves

Moderator: Miggs

Prestonese
DDK Seasoned Poster

New member & 911T

Post by Prestonese »

Hi all,

I've been lurking on here a while now trying to educate myself as much as I can on early 911 l 912s. I finally bought a nice 2.2T off 911flyboy which he had a very short build thread on last year.

I picked up the car this week and drove it over 200 miles with no drama. It's noisy, a real effort to drive, has lots of little quirks and the seat gives me lower back ache (no lumbar support at all). I love it and wish I hadn't wasted years driving the modern stuff.

Having seen a number of cars already at similar price to this, I wasn't expecting a huge step up in condition but I was pleasantly surprised. The paint isn't entirely perfect but from a metre away it looks great. Body is as solid as described with no sign of rust. Interior shows sign of use but is so much better than others I've seen. The car absolutely flies and drives well. Even my neurotic highly strung spaniel love sitting in the back. I managed install proper rear seat belts and get a baby seat in. It is a hot rod as well as a family car ;-)

Goal is to drive it a season as is for some road trips and for family days out before they all get bored of it and I can upgrade the engine modestly and add some other tweaks. Any suggestions other than ST arches are welcome.

PS. Would love to share photos but all mine seem to be way above the maximum memory limit. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Kaz
Gary71
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: New member & 911T

Post by Gary71 »

Hi Kaz, Welcome to DDK!

By far the easiest way to master photos is to use the Tapatalk app on your phone and access the forum from there. Then you can upload directly from your phone pics.
Prestonese
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Prestonese »

Thanks. I figured I needed to compress the size and dimensions of the file before attaching on here.

Here it is parked up in the garage for the first night. The lighting is terrible but I was busy driving it to take decent photos!
Attachments
_IMG_000000_000000.jpg
yoda
I need to get out more!

Post by yoda »

Welcome to DDK, nice looking car! Tell us more about it.
The force is strong in this one ......
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Welcome to Ddk 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
bjmullan
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by bjmullan »

Welcome to DDK. Nice colour 8)
Brendan
1969 911T
2007 2.7 Boxster

Pray, hope and don't worry - Padre Pio
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Welcome and great
To have you on board - car looks great
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Prestonese
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Prestonese »

hot66 wrote:Welcome to Ddk 8)
Here's the thread from when 911flyboy brought the car to the UK.

https://www.ddk-online.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=65413

It's also mentioned in the Marketplace thread from around page 9. The only add ons since was a couple of new seats (look great but so far gives me lower back ache) and rear seat belts so I could put a child seat in the back. The car needed nothing else as far as I could tell. The steering feel is fantastic - the upgrades to the suspension feels well judged. The ride is great having come from some some modern stuff. I'm sure the flywheel and Webers contribute to it feeling pretty quick but would need to get onto a Dyno to confirm. 911flyboy and Williams Crawford thinks it pulls around 140-150. It feels probably about right.

I drove it 240 miles on the first day and it didn't bat an eyelid. I was tempted to tune the engine up to 180bhp or so with some mild mods but I'm not sure it needs it. It's a lovely little cruiser and I'm not sure it needs more than a couple of Cibies. I was toying doing some gentlemanly hill climbs in it and it still feels like the limit to what to do with the car. At least until my family gets bored of it!
hot66

Post by hot66 »

Always best to spend time in car and get to know it etc before deciding on mods. You’ve got a good 4 months of hopefully great driving weather ahead of you now so enjoy it 8)
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Congratulations Kaz, looks a cracking car 8) .....

....I chatted with Rich quite a bit about the car and he was really impressed with it, surprised he actually sold it but lucky for you. Enjoy :thumbright:
Prestonese
DDK Seasoned Poster

Post by Prestonese »

Darren65 wrote:Congratulations Kaz, looks a cracking car 8) .....

....I chatted with Rich quite a bit about the car and he was really impressed with it, surprised he actually sold it but lucky for you. Enjoy :thumbright:
Thanks Darren. I had seen the car and discussed it with a few friends a while back when it first came up at Williams Crawford. It was not top of my list until I saw Richard's "build thread" and I managed to speak to him about it at length. If he had taken it one step further I probably would have passed on it.

Most interesting part of the investigation into this car was speaking to Crispin to see if he knew anything about it. He advised it had a shunt previously. That came as a big surprise until he started talking about the targa roof and a 2.4 engine!

I've started following your RSR build thread. Fascinating!
Darren65

Post by Darren65 »

Thanks Kaz, there was a couple of restoration threads before this build.......should have learnt my lesson by now! :roll:

Let's hope things open up in the not too distant future and we can all enjoy a proper DDK meet 8)