Wevo Gateshift - experience?

A place for Impact Bumpers, 964 and 993 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

Chris_ABZ
DDK Newbie

Wevo Gateshift - experience?

Post by Chris_ABZ »

Hello

Is anyone currently running a Wevo Gateshift? I am undertaking a comprehensive 915 build to support a "proper" 3.8 for my '71 and I want a solid 'box that I can beat on. Wevo recommends running their PSJ (race?), Wevo shifter and then you could add shift tubes ... it gets very expensive! But I only want to do this once and a missed shift would be dire on that sweet £££ motor outback.

Thanks Chris
wadsworthi
DDK Fanatic

Re: Wevo Gateshift - experience?

Post by wadsworthi »

Hi Chris,

I cannot comment on the gateshift as I do not have one fitted. I have however had a Wevo shifter and their PSJ fitted for over 5 years without missed shifts, that during the time when the car has done 50 or more sprint and Hillclimb events with 2 drivers. It is a very good system with positive movements of the gear lever. Your gearbox does however need to be in good condition to get the full benefit. I did have a shift rod crack on my car, and should have taken the opportunity to fit the Wevo rod, but I needed a new one quickly. The standard new rod works fine for me though.
I hope this helps and no doubt someone who has fitted the gateshift will give you advice on that.

Regards

Ian
Chris_ABZ
DDK Newbie

Post by Chris_ABZ »

Hi Ian,

That is good feedback. The 915 is being completely rebuilt by an excellent shop. I asked for a Gateshift to be installed. Its ~$800; however the engine is costing me a bucket load of cash so why not attempt to get the best 915 I can get? I originally figured if I added the Gateshift then I did not need a Wevo shifter ... however it looks as if they recommend the alot, shifter and PSJ. I am not sure about the shift tubes as the 3.8/915 combination is going into my "stock" '71T. As its a conversion I reckon I will end up getting the shift tubes as well.

This car runs a stock 901 shifter at the moment. My previous hot rods were a 930 and a 914-6. The 6 ran a Welmeister short shift kit and shifter; not that great. The 930 had a stock shifter ... better but medicore at best. With the "investment" in the longhood I figured it was worth going all out. This car will be a keeper.

thanks Chris
dean1057
DDK forever

Post by dean1057 »

I fitted the wevo billet shifter and PSJ in the RS rep I've got after a Mike Bainbridge rebuild, also bought the California spray bar from CMS as I do the odd trackdays to keep everything lubed in there and used the gear box cooler gears to power it. https://californiamotorsports.net/colle ... -spray-bar
The shifter makes a big difference and feels like rifle like and short rather than the sloppy long reach standard setup.
I also have the wevo classic shifter fitted in the 911sc targa, again a big improvement.
964 C4 1990, Metallic Black
3.0SC 1978 Targa Imported from California, Guards Red
3.2 RS Replica, 1984 GP White & Blue
997 gen 2 Gt3, 2010 Aqua Blue
996TT Riveria Blue.....sold to Geebee but not forgotten
and a few Motorbikes!!!!
Boydyrs
DDK forever

Post by Boydyrs »

Chris sent you PM
Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by Sam »

I don’t like them.

A rebuilt 915 with a rebuilt linkage is a lovely thing to use. It glides between the gears where the Wevo changes this to a chunky motion needing an assertive shove to change rather than a gentle guide. To me feels uncomfortably contrasting to the smooth, long-travel lightness of the steering and pedals of an early car.

If you’re fitting a 350mm wheel and heavy clutch the balance feels better, but you’re then getting so far away from what Porsche designed you should probably just get a Caterham.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
tea boy
DDK addict

Post by tea boy »

I fitted a Wevo classic shifter and a psj.
The shifter is the best thing I ever did to the car.
When I rebuilt the gearbox I fitted a gateshift thing and didn't notice any difference tbh.

If you are putting more power/torque through a 915 you should fit the 'teddy bear' bearing retainer.
It is slowly getting hotter, IB hot rod build.http://retrorides.proboards.com/thread/ ... orsche-911
911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by 911hillclimber »

I'll chip in.
Over my 30 years with mine I have had mixed results.

Had my original mag cased '73 box rebuilt by Bob Watson in 1990, stock 2.2 shifter and that was quite good (had no previous 911 experience)
Changed to a 2.4 S shifter and it was better, changes a bit hit and miss esp when hill climbing.

Fitted a factory short shift against Bob's advice. Terrible, back to stock.

Much later changed box for an alloy cased 3.2 Sport box, 2.4 shifter and that was no better but 5 speeds helped.

That box was re-built by the Best, MB Engineering and it needed the full works. Shifting was not good, but no synchro crunches and an oil pump that worked.

Tried a bolt/weld on conversion to the shifter which gave spring assisted 3/4th plane just like a modern car. Better but not brilliant. Sold it to a DDK'r.

Fitted a Rennshift and things are great.

Through all this the box coupling has had solid bushes, polybush engine and box mounts helped when hill climbing, but little difference noticed between them and rubber on the road where the car is occasionally used.

I've had 2 915 boxes rebuilt 4 times, and every time 2nd has been a challenge at times to engage (balking) despite hours tweeking shifter positions and different oils.

Use stock oil now as requested by MB.

I have never had a 915 change like a hot knife through butter in 30 years. Lucky if you have one like that.
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
goodtogo
Married to the DDK

Post by goodtogo »

I have for sale a brand new Wevo shifter kit for sale that I bought from Twinspark Racing, for a v8 911 project, but have now sold the car, so the kit is surplus to requirements.

The Wevo kit is for a 930 turbo box and this box is a good idea for high output engines. Kit includes the Wevo PSJ joint and the gear stick is in black with the extended black knob.

I paid £950 for it 3 months ago.