Temporary garage / shelter

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

Sam
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Temporary garage / shelter

Post by Sam »

Hai

I’m about to knock my house down and want to put up temporary shelters in the garden to store cars and bikes.

They need to last a couple of years. It’s fairly sheltered here and (famous last words) quite safe so they don’t need to be mega secure.

The Clarke ones seem sensible: https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke- ... 51EALw_wcB

Any other thoughts / experience welcomed.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
PeterK
DDK rules my life!

Re: Temporary garage / shelter

Post by PeterK »

I had a Clarke garage for a year or so, even painted my Lotus in it. Very sturdy. A mate has had his for more than a year, placed under trees and it still seems to be coping well.
Peter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
'79 Targa - restoration now mainly complete & being driven
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=59756
map
DDK Fanatic

Post by map »

What about buying - then selling when done - a used shipping container?
arminius
DDK Fanatic

Post by arminius »

Seconded a shipping container, pal has bought a brace of them, insulated, around 1800 each. I’m going to do same for my stuff.
stichill99
DDK Fanatic

Post by stichill99 »

I had a machine mart one and in under a year it had worn through on the corners. I had placed it in what I thought was a sheltered spot but it really couldn't stand up to the weather here in the Scottish Borders. The only good thing was Machine mart gave me a credit note for it's value when I took it back!
Sam

Post by Sam »

We can’t get a big enough loader down our little lane for a container to be delivered. Plus the deal isn’t that great for short-term needs as the transportation cost is high.
964 C2 Targa. 205 1.6 GTi. Testarossa. Fisher Fury Fireblade. Motorhome. Motorbikes. Scooters. Pushbikes. Threadbare Saucony Peregrines. Dog. Human relations and friends. 97.5%-built house.
Winston Teague
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Post by Winston Teague »

Build the workshop/garage first. 5-6 car spaces, dormer windows, clean domestic storage/site office upstairs, secure sorted shed downstairs. When the Grand Designs pregnancy/divorce/budget & schedule overrun set in shift cars to commercial storage/auction and live in workshop......W :wink:
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Sam

Post by Sam »

This did occur to me. But the garaging is all attached to the house and it’ll be cheaper to do it all at once.
DustyM
I need to get out more!

Post by DustyM »

Presumably you will be living somewhere else whilst the build goes on. Rent somewhere that also has a garage?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sam

Post by Sam »

I have about 5 garages worth of stuff. Nowhere to rent round here has that sort of space. We’d have to move out of town and apparently we’re not allowed to do that.
Brookesy
DDK Fanatic

Post by Brookesy »

I have 12 x 24 Clark garage tent that was used for five months taken down carefully a month ago and now stored in my garage after my house move.
PM me if you are interested.
Nike Mk7s/Porsche
931 (to my daughter)
996 C4S (sold)
Aston Martin V8 Vantage (subtle beast)
Triumph Thunderbird Storm
Sam

Post by Sam »

Ooh. Pm on way.
David Rooke
DDK addict

Post by David Rooke »

+ 1 for the Clarke garage / tent. I used one on the concrete foundation slab for my new garage for about 2 years.

I bolted it down using some concrete anchors and I modified the front and rear "doors" to prevent them flapping into the car. I think the idea is that air should flow through and under the gables to reduce condensation, so bear in mind that they are not sealed. I used a carcoon inside for the car and suspended a tarp below the roof and above the carcoon to prevent drips fro condensation. I don't think the condensation was a fault of the clarke garage, but inevitable given the design. Make sure that you build it on another tarp or dry foundation to prevent moisture rotting the vehicles from beneath.
1966 912 | 1996 993 C4 | 2002 996 Turbo