1972 ST Clone

The place to post image of your PORSCHES

Moderator: Bootsy

mrg3.6
DDK rules my life!

Re: 1972 ST Clone

Post by mrg3.6 »

BILLY BEAN wrote: Martin, as can be seen the MFI pump is in "competition" specification. The typical route when the auto cold start is dispensed with is to a have a simple plate and screw to push in the cold start pin to the hot running position once the engine is warm. Stretch has this arrangement on his ST build.

Not wishing to have to wait for warm up and being a little old and decrepit, did not then want to fiddle in the engine bay, I looked for alternatives.
Tutthill have a manual device but they only fit them to engines they build and it is not for general sale. Henry Schmidt in the US also has a device which is really very simple being a lever mounted on the MFI pump ( like mine) and a bit of cable. But its design was too crude for my liking and at £350 I decided to pass on that and design one myself. I got it made locally to a pencil sketch with some dimensions on it at a cost of £120. It is probably over engineered and it does not look an aesthetic delight but it provides a consistent closure working against a return spring (for absolute certainty). You should note that the Bowden cable passes through a union on the pump bracket used by the pump brace. The lever to close the cold start is in the cab. The lever is a proprietary piece off a lawn mower. (OK Dave that will be good for a laugh) Purchased off the internet along with its mounting bracket.
The only critical area is to ensure the shut off pin that goes into the pump is the correct length. Initially this was too short and did not close the mechanism inside the pump. Hope the above is of help.
Kirk,

Thanks for the great explanation and what is a very professional solution.

Now need you (or Dave) to go into production so I can replace the scary electric solenoid set-up that Bob Watson wired up on my 72T which threatens to self-immolate my engine every time I cold start.

Thx
Martin
59 356A
83 911SC 3.6
inaglasshouse
DDK 1st, 2nd and 3rd for me!

Post by inaglasshouse »

Hi Kirk,

That's nicely done.
As you know I have a Henry Schmidt one on my 2.2S, and agree it is crude (but a bit more palatable when bought used for $100 and posted to a hotel when I was in the US anyway...).
I prefer yours.
If I may make a suggestion to avoid garden machinery based p155-taking: how about using one of the OEM levers next to the handbrake - heater flappers or hand throttle? Presumably at least one of those is redundant in an ST?
As previously posted, my favourite solution to this, but only applicable to a 2.0S pump having dual solenoids, is the enrichment solenoid wired to the rear wiper switch under the dash. That's what I did in my 69S, and it's properly neat and tidy.

Looking good Kirk, when's my passenger ride?

Also I was at your machinist's place yesterday; he sends his regards.
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Also, by the way, if I were nit picking pre-production of this excellent device...

I think I would have the return spring, (hence the mech if your cable can't also push like a Morse cable), operate the other way round? I think I would prefer the default state to be no enrichment - for the vast majority of the time the engine is running, that's better for the engine (or better for getting you to the end of the race, if you're in ST rep mindset), I would have thought?

Cheers Richard.
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Richard,
Thanks for your input and comments. Yes in retrospect you are probably right about the position of the spring being in the cold start "fail safe" position although it was introduced to work against the lever and prevents the "pin" being pushed too hard into the MFI pump ( a physical stop would do the latter) Although the spring may get ditched in the long term if the Boden (push/pull) cable proves reliable. And yes the heater lever in the car is redundant and could be used to activate the control as I have seen in another car. The lever I have purchased has a series of positions that can be moved to in order to provide a progressive staged closure of the device in a number of "stops". The device is still work in progress rather than the finished article at this point.
I had forgotten you had got the Henry Schmidt article.
Thanks yet again for posting pictures for me.
Regards.
Rust Never Sleeps
stretch
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by stretch »

Any over devices from B & Q then... What about Halfords..... :wink:
70T barn find...... to ST.
1998 C2 996 Kettle
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

stretch wrote:Any over devices from B & Q then... What about Halfords..... :wink:
Took your time Dave with a pixx take. I think you are slowing up in your advancing years. :-)
Rust Never Sleeps
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Morning all.
Kirk's PA here, with a few more pics. Yes, wearing a tight skirt and heels, before you ask Bootsy.

The Great Man will be along later to add commentary, but for now I will submit my own.

Some windows, with tear-off self cleaning system:

inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Some ST type details up the front. Nice relays!
If you ever need a pristine Fuchs, just steal Kirk's, no bonnet lock on an ST.

inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Two fuel pumps. Twice the chance for a leak.
Unless they are purely ornamental, of course?

inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

F*ck knows.
Looks expensive.

You're welcome, Kirk! xx

hot66

Post by hot66 »

:lol:
James

1973 911 2.4S
1993 964 C2
2010 987 Spyder
1973 MGB Roadster

Its not how fast you go, but how you go fast ;)
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

Thank you Richard or should I be using "Cynthia" your week end name? It seems the high heels and tight skirt have brought out your "inner bitch".
Well it is back to the plot now I have my new glasses on to see the small phone screen I use for these posts. Plus my right forefinger is no longer sore at the end from the typing........or was it excess nose picking? Difficult to remember when you get to my advanced age.
I did mention in one of my earlier posts (amazing I remember that far back) about the engine and the issues with the lack of spark in the right places as a result of an inadequate rotor arm modification. In the picture my assistant Cynthia posted you can see a unique rotor arm converted from a Jaguar V12. This one works perfectly. Someone might be interested in this for the future hence the picture. If not just ignore it.
It might be recalled that the shell after paint and the addition of a few bits went back to "the fire" AKA Fenn Lane. Where promises were made that the reassembly would be achieved "quickly". The latter, as it turned out, being a highly flexible or possibly an infinite concept.
Fenn Lane (FL) were not in possession of any parts for the car. I had restored or had new parts all carefully boxed in what I felt were logical packages eg suspension, electrical items or interior. Each box had a list of its contents stuck on the exterior. When I handed over a box of parts I sent an email to FL stating what had been given to them along with a group photo of the parts. Parts were only handed over on a "need" basis.
The above method,I hoped, would maintain control of part supply and accountability. And the " you never gave us that bit" scenario.
In fairness FL got the suspension on the car really quickly and I was encouraged that progress would be swift. Spoiler: I was far too optimistic.
The tunnel got its contents along with the main loom a couple of weeks later and progress had already slowed as thereafter weeks went by and bugger all had been done. I either telephoned or visited FL each week to check on the quality of the work and to press for progress.
The cross over oil cooler lines and all the fitting up of the oil lines were a major pain and moved at the pace of a pre global warming glacier. The oil lines to and from the oil coolers were not a propriety off the shelf system but a collection of parts I had assembled so, to an extent, I had some sympathy for the slowness of the assembly. It was frustrating all the same particularly after the promises, promises and more promises. Months went by and although the oil lines were eventually sorted I was not happy. I asked for someone else to be put on to the car to get things moving again. Enter Vince. FL were not familiar with the fine detail of an ST so Vince would ask questions about how a particular bracket should be mounted or the precise position of say the twin fuel pumps. It was also obvious that I had not necessarily thought things through in terms of some parts requirements. For example, I had a prototype bracket to hold the two brake fluid reservoirs. Vince crafted something much better. I was more confident in Vince getting things right and keeping the quality of build to a good standard.
Of course the build moved in fits and starts. More fits and less starts. Vince was given other cars to work on and my car gathered dust. Conversations were had and endless promises made but work dragged on. Vince was motivated to get onto my car as it was not "run of the mill" but his boss had other ideas. The under "bonnet" area on an ST is a complicated set up with the larger tank, centre fill and drainage for the same, twin pumps, extra relays, oil cross over lines etc. Vince did a tidy job.

Personel left FL leaving only Vince and the painter. Should I move the car elsewhere to get it finished? More conversations. The bottom line was that Vince appeared to be doing a good job and the hourly rate was very low. As Cynthia said in one of her/his posts many moons ago there is speed, cost and quality to a build and it is highly unlikely that all three will align favourably. Such wise words. Although it was before Cynthia "came out" and joined the KS and Bootsy sect. I was getting two out of three of the criteria so left the car with FL and kept my fingers crossed. Month after month. And more months which turned into a year and then some. The plan of providing ready restored parts with the notion that it would speed the build was clearly not helping. Would the bloody thing ever get done? It was at these times of frustration that you need someone to provide encouragement or to commiserate with you. Dave O'Connor AKA "Stretch" was the main man in this regard. We exchanged thousands of emails and had endless phone calls.
It got to a point eventually where the bulk of the work on the assembly of the car was done. Then it all came to a shuddering halt as Chris Flavel committed suicide.
FL was closed up and my car, along with many others, was locked inside the premises. The landlord of the property was uncooperative and it looked like the car would be stuck indefinately. I tried persuasion and eventually threats of a legal kind. The landlord dug his heels in further. He was keeping my car as collateral against what he was "owed" in rent and I had to "prove" the car was mine. I advised my insurance company of the situation. They confirmed that they would honour any loss that transpired. Further conversations were had with the landlord and three days later I picked the car up along with a small number of parts that were with the car. Relieved that I had extracted the car from what eventually became something of a nightmare for others.
I took the car to my friend Nick Kyte's workshop and continued with the assembly for a few weeks.
I think it worthwhile to note that I kept the car/ shell/ parts insured throughout and kept the insurance company up to date of values and location of the whole lot. I would urge anyone to do the same. You can not rely on a third party maintaining insurance on your property. And it is always beneficial to keep your insurer up to date with any significant changes. Should the car have "disappeared" from FL then I was confident I would get a payout from my insurance company. This would not compensate for the intrinsic value of a project or the frustration and hours spent restoring parts or researching details but it would soften the blow a little. I would also urge people to record the handing over of parts to anyone for restoration and / or assembly. Much of the work on cars and parts is of course done on trust. Unfortunately, things can and do go wrong and there are some unscrupulous traders out there.
Rust Never Sleeps
keith fellowes
DDK forever

Post by keith fellowes »

Wise words there Kirk about keeping up the insurance irrespective of where the car is. I did, although at one point was told why bother as we have insurance!! Problem I now have is trying to cost the missing bits.
At least your car came out of FL more or less in one piece, unlike mine!!

I keep hearing from Nick and Vince about your cars and must, when conditions improve, come and see them in the flesh
Please keep the word and photos coming as they are giving me inspiration and hope for mine
BILLY BEAN

Post by BILLY BEAN »

keith fellowes wrote:Wise words there Kirk about keeping up the insurance irrespective of where the car is. I did, although at one point was told why bother as we have insurance!! Problem I now have is trying to cost the missing bits.
At least your car came out of FL more or less in one piece, unlike mine!!

I keep hearing from Nick and Vince about your cars and must, when conditions improve, come and see them in the flesh
Please keep the word and photos coming as they are giving me inspiration and hope for mine
Thanks for the warm words Keith. Your own insurance is critical to protect your interests.
I am sure you will eventually overcome your major set back.

My loss from FL amounted to a period correct roll over cage. Provided by FL. I was left the details of where the correct tube could be obtained from along with who could bend the "hoop". I now have the parts to make up a replacement cage at very modest cost.
Rust Never Sleeps
inaglasshouse

Post by inaglasshouse »

Kirk,
An honest appraisal.
Having also escaped Fenn Lane nearly unscathed, I would probably emphasise some of the positives as well as the lessons learned.
In general I found Vince very good indeed, and as you say the price and quality was generally good.
Until the shuddering, horrible full stop of Chris' suicide, FL only ever let me down on timescale. They did not lose any of my bits, or do any dodgy swaps of components with other jobs...with that said, the timescale let downs were on a different (epic) scale from the usual nonsense we experience day to day with these cars.
Things I have learned:
1) As you say: insure, and document all the bits you hand over
2) Drip feed. Nobody has ever had my entire car in their workshop. I don't think I would ever entrust an entire car to anyone, for any length of time. Partly because I like doing assembly and electrics etc myself, but partly for financial risk reasons. FL did my suspension bits, and I waited until I had got them back before giving them the steering rack, brakes and a few other bits. Then when those were safely home they got the engine and gearbox. The latter being a big risk and I remain thankful that it was back home before the s*it hit the fan.
3) Nowadays I always ask myself: what would happen if this place went bust tomorrow? Not saying that any or all of the businesses we deal with are at risk, but it can happen. The answer is probably a long wait, the need to prove ownership of parts, and a risk of my things going awol if other creditors are unscrupulous. Which leads us back to insurance and documented handover of bits.

Thanks for sharing, car looks good and I hope it was worth the pain!