OT: race/driving sim rigs - anyone

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

gridgway
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: OT: race/driving sim rigs - anyone

Post by gridgway »

Great videos Ben, thanks!
smallspeed
I used to have a life, then came DDK

Post by smallspeed »

As mentioned, its part of some pack - I just brought the GOTY or whatever version that comes with everything, its worth the extra 10-15 quid or whatever it was
In terms of sickness - YOU WILL GET SICK! I don't care who you are or what you've done before (my mate is a 20yr+ experience fast jet test pilot for RAF - couldn't hack VR first time out) the feeling of immersion and movement is incredible but because you're not actually moving it will make you feel bad. The only way around this is to stick with it - do 5mins once or twice per day MAX, then start increasing it to 6-7mins, maybe 10, and only using flat circuits like Silverstone.. Over the course of that 3-4 weeks you'll get to the point where you're fine with it for 15-20mins, then you can start hammering the really fun circuits like portimao, zolder, nurburgring, etc

You can improve the sickness feeling in most sim games by adjusting the world movement setting. For PCARS2, go into OPTIONS > CAMERA SETTINGS > MOVEMENT > WORLD MOVEMENT and set this value to 100. With that set at zero you will be puking your insides out!

Graham - in my opinion I wouldn't build it into a helmet! I tried that, you can never get it to sit on your face correctly or accurately and so you just end up making the vision worse, and boiling your head!

In terms of headsets Valve Index is spot on - graphics are great, FOV is great, refresh rate is great. All much better than Oc / HTC (we use vive pro at work and its not as good as the index) and better supported than things like the Samsung type headsets. Pimax 5K or 8K are the future, at the moment I don't think the GPU hardware can cope so not worth the cost - next generation GPU's will make things like the 5K and 8K the new normal.. I can't wait!

Have fun!
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Thanks Ben. I'm hoping that my sickness is reasonably ok. I've not felt at all sick so far on the ones I've tried, but that's not to say it won't happen!

I wasn't being serious about building the VR headset into a helmet!

Any idea when the place yuo got your extruded ally from is likely to re-open? There doesn't appear to be many other consumer options.

Cheers
Graham
smallspeed

Post by smallspeed »

Not sure.. we started production this week, they supply a lot of racking and tooling and things so I’d expect them to open in the next week or so. Prob best to just give them a call although their website is very good for pricing / ordering once they’re re opened

I have seen vr built into a helmet on the web somewhere, but once you’ve used the headset a few times you’ll find there’s a sweet spot for positioning it which would be hard to replicate with something else like a car helmet!
23e Heure

Post by 23e Heure »

Graham: Any updates?
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Very slow progress James! In the absence of being able to get any extruded ally, I ordered a rig from a reseller. But then sim lab closed for orders before they got their order in.

In the meantime I have got my pc up and running. I ordered the cheapo wheel that Jimmy B reviewed to get started. But it's pretty horrid. My vr headset has just arrived so I'm going to try and get some practice in using the mx5 then do some races to get my licence.

The place selling the ally is open again, so I think I'll cancel my sim lab order and get going on that.

Graham
NurLinks
DDK Fanatic

Post by NurLinks »

Of course I don't know what you've already spent and what you're willing to lay out for your setup, but I saw this ad on Racecarsdirect: https://racecarsdirect.com/Advert/Detai ... -simulator

With some haggling, you might be able to do a deal on some quality stuff.
1986 911 3.3 Turbo, 1973 911 RSR Replica, 1974 FIA spec 3.0 RSR (in progress)
1993 928GTS, 1971 Alfa Romeo Giulia
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Thanks very much for the link. I've got all my gear now apart from the rig itself which I have just found a supplier for. Looks like it could be a good deal though.
Graham
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Thought I'd join in this thread....
1972 911T | 1994 993 Carrera | 1999 986 Boxster | 1990 T25 Camper

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

Pole Position on the mighty Vectrex from 1983

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vintage Heuer, Omega, Zenith and other vintage watches - http://www.heuerheritage.co.uk
23e Heure

Post by 23e Heure »

Nice!

My own first race sim was Revs, on the BBC Micro, first released in 1984.

I have a BBC B emulator on my PC, and recently tried playing Revs on it but... “You know what they say about nostalgia? It ain’t what it used to be” Image

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L18wG4p5fQE

It was way ahead of its time though, generally considered to be the grand daddy all of today's console and PC based race sims.
James
'87 R4 GTL Clan
'74 914/6 3.0 Texas GT
'73 911 2.7 RS Replica LHD
'72 911 2.4 E RHD (Sold)
Bootsy
Site admin and the Boss

Post by Bootsy »

I remember playing Revs on my BBC B

I'll admit I'm rather into my retro gaming at the moment - it's a nice break from sitting in my home office working all day!

Hugo 356
I luv DDK!

Post by Hugo 356 »

Closest I have got to driving a 962 was WEC Le Mans on the 48k Spectrum

My mate had Toyota Celica GT4 Rally on the Atari ST & I remember being mighty impressed when it started raining and you could turn the wipers on

maverick
noun
1. an unorthodox or independent-minded person.
2. an unbranded calf or yearling.
Origin mid 19th century: from the name of Samuel A. Maverick (1803–70), a Texas rancher who did not brand his cattle.