Distributor Replacement Advice

For you flat four Porsche 912 fanatics

Moderators: Miggs, KS

Ashley James
Put a fork in me, I'm done!

Re: Distributor Replacement Advice

Post by Ashley James »

Anyone with a 6 Volt 356 should be aware that if the car has been stood for a time, the battery will need to be fully charged before you try and start the car. This is because there’s a voltage drop when the starter motor is cranking and this can stop the 123 from working. If the battery is fully charged, starting is easy given the delay until the pump has filled the float chambers.
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

Hi, i've come to this thread too late but there is another alternative: When i bought my 356 it had a crappy 009. These are common fitment to Austin 7s and are crap there too, very low variable build quality in my experience. Wanting to stay with points as i have a rational fear of sealed boxes full of electronics, i bought a Mallory YL541 HP from the Samba. A '70sAmerican race distributor for VW engines. $50 plus a bit of shipping, a set of service parts also $50, a Bosch 'Blue' sports coil and a Swiftune condenser. Job done. Adjustable advance curve. Top quality mechanical components, dual contact to balance the load on the shaft (& wear). And (most importantly) set up on a rolling road dyno. Much less ugly that the 009/123 etc too. Just my take though, i also know many who love their 123.....W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
neilbardsley
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Post by neilbardsley »

Are you running 6 or 12v?

Sent from my Redmi 7 using Tapatalk
“A REMINDER. I would be grateful if those members who have borrowed bits from me in emergencies (e.g starter motor, oil cooler, etc) would return them and/or contact me”. – Chris Turner RIP
Winston Teague

Post by Winston Teague »

I'm 12v, but bosch still do a good 6v sports coil. The coil is the only voltage sensitive part in a points system.. W
Winston
'61 356 BT5 & a lot of broken chain driven stuff
Ollie
DDK forever

Post by Ollie »

Would anyone be interested in a group buy of the CSP Pacemaker? They are the 123ignition in a period body.

Kind regards,

Ollie