Paint!!

For classic Porsche 911 content

Moderators: hot66, impmad2000, Barry, Viv_Surby, Derek, Mike Usiskin

912uk
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Paint!!

Post by 912uk »

OK I am asking here as this is where most you guys hide......

I want to paint the 54 this year or at least buy the 2pk ready ..

Any suggestions for the best available paint supply company/maker..

I mean auto paints is ok for painting running gear it's cheap but not what I want for the body work..

Also I want to look to lower and add on my new shocks for the 12 where is the best place to get the car set up afterwards.. eg alined and the wheels all pointing up and along in the right direction..... I have heard about Jaz and they I think do it.. any idea on cost..

:alien:
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Glasurit is good. 22-line single stage for solid colours, or 55-line two stage basecoat-clearcoat for metallic colours.

http://www.glasurit.com/COLOR/COLOR-Search/
912uk

Post by 912uk »

what sort of cash are we talking a litre of this stuff ?
Barry

Post by Barry »

Mark, I've had an ask around on paint, including two companies that regularly paint £100,000 plus cars.

They said that Glasurit used to be brilliant, but these days just doesn't seem to match expectations. Sikkens: very good quality but all the money, and takes a lot of paint to get the coverage. Would you believe that all of the really top people in this area use PPG! I couldn't believe it, but there you go. I also know of a several using ICI and like it.

Like I say, this was not just one paint shop, but several, and all doing paint for customers world-wide (seems we're in a good area for the mega restorers here).

Personally I'll stick to good old Autopaints: as you know it covers fantasically, has an incredible off the gun finish and is good value. I still have not heard who makes it, but have it on good authority it is made by one of the premiere manufacturers, albeit to a cheaper 'formula'. The only drawback is their colour matching: definitely not as good as the more expensive manufacturers. Not such an issue with full restorations of course.

I would love to try giving these bodyshops Autopaints, badged as Sikkens or Glasuit and see what happened.

BTW, some of the Autopaint'ed cars that I did when I had my own business (at least twelve years ago) still look very respectable and are still doing the local classic car show circuit. Therefore I'm happy with it's longeveity.
Last edited by Barry on Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DDK Member1243 07741 273865. Now booking Spring '24. Home of the RY Austin 7 Trophy's
Derek
DDK rules my life!

Post by Derek »

Barry wrote
I would love to try giving these bodyshops Autopaints, badged as Sikkens or Glasuit and see what happened.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
1970 911 3.6T
Robster
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Robster »

I remember that there was (is?) a company called House of Color, that used to have agents in the UK. All the top customisers seemed to use paint from them.

They used to do some fairly crazy finishes, metal flake, candy (?) flip flop (?).

regards
Robster
IanM
DDK rules my life!

Post by IanM »

Barry wrote:They said that Glasurit used to be brilliant, but these days just doesn't seem to match expectations.
Do you mean enamel? Porsche painted their solid-coloured cars in enamel until mid '90s. Nowadays, it's impossible to buy enamel.