Projects undertaken while Grounded?

Chat away, Classic Porsche related or otherwise

Moderators: hot66, Miggs, 58A - 71E, impmad2000, drummerboytom, Barry, Helen, Viv_Surby, Derek, KS, abm914, Mike Usiskin

911hillclimber
Nurse, I think I need some assistance

Re: Projects undertaken while Grounded?

Post by 911hillclimber »

Good grief!
That's what I thought too. Great strimmer bought from B&Q about 20 years back. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Video of first drone flight showing the delights of Ridgway Towers!
Image20200415192247 by graham Ridgway, on Flickr
takeflight
DDK above all

Post by takeflight »

After helping the boss with the gardening, I was allowed out to play. So gave the old mf35 a much needed service.ImageImage

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Bruce M
Me and DDK sitting in a tree! KISSING

Post by Bruce M »

gridgway wrote:Video of first drone flight showing the delights of Ridgway Towers!
Image20200415192247 by graham Ridgway, on Flickr
I’m guessing that is a small drone under 250g?
If not, check the current regulations.

The radio signal is 2.4ghz and doesn’t go round corners very well so stick with line of sight.

Have you got a set of goggles?
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Bruce M wrote:
gridgway wrote:I’m guessing that is a small drone under 250g?
If not, check the current regulations.

The radio signal is 2.4ghz and doesn’t go round corners very well so stick with line of sight.

Have you got a set of goggles?
Now I know it actually flies, I need to "get legal" with registering it and doing the theory test etc.
I don't have goggles, the tech is very low tech and I wouldn't trust it to do anything more than baby flights. The FPV was very jerky and froze a lot on my phone. I could get the google cardboard to put my phone in VR and use that, but I don't have a buddy to keep it in line of sight. I try more when lockdown ends.
Graham
Bruce M

Post by Bruce M »

Got you.
Most Googles use an analogue video signal at 5.8ghz, but won’t work with Wi-fi based drones. 5.8ghz is Even less happy with corners. Digital systems are available but expensive.

“Tiny whoop” sized models are good fun for inside & very low wind outside. Battery life is very limited though which is annoying. Eachine E013 is about £50 including controller & basic goggles, from Banggood.

I got more interested in fixed wing as you get much more flight time (far more efficient). Not scale models, just foam based. But lost interest & haven’t touched them for a year or two.
gridgway

Post by gridgway »

Yes, flying fixed wing and helis is on the list of projects! Just not enough time!
stichill99
DDK Fanatic

Post by stichill99 »

Takeflight. I love the original paint Mf35. It looks pretty straight and dent free! I have one my father bought new in 1959 and also a Ford 4000 bought new in 1969 for the grand price of £875. Still earns it's keep on haybob and cement mixer!
takeflight
DDK above all

Post by takeflight »

stichill99 wrote:Takeflight. I love the original paint Mf35. It looks pretty straight and dent free! I have one my father bought new in 1959 and also a Ford 4000 bought new in 1969 for the grand price of £875. Still earns it's keep on haybob and cement mixer!
Yes this one is used for topping a meadow, it’s the 4 pot diesel. Put away October time and makes its first appearance around April. Just drain the water, don’t even put the bat on charge. A quick blast of easy start and off she goes for another season.
jwhillracer

Post by jwhillracer »

takeflight wrote:
stichill99 wrote:Takeflight. I love the original paint Mf35. It looks pretty straight and dent free! I have one my father bought new in 1959 and also a Ford 4000 bought new in 1969 for the grand price of £875. Still earns it's keep on haybob and cement mixer!
Yes this one is used for topping a meadow, it’s the 4 pot diesel. Put away October time and makes its first appearance around April. Just drain the water, don’t even put the bat on charge. A quick blast of easy start and off she goes for another season.
That's a really tidy MF35! I'm amazed it starts so easily. I worked for a MF dealer in the middle 1970's and 4 cyl 35's had such a bad reputation for starting that any that were kept on farms as scraper tractors were parked at the highest point in the yard so that there was plenty of space to bump-start them …….. :roll: Lovely old things though, the world would grind to a halt if all of the TE20's and MF35's disappeared overnight!

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
jwhillracer

Post by jwhillracer »

Finished the workbench, painted the frame, welded in the 6mm steel worktop and bolted on my favourite old Record No2 vice. I fixed it in place this afternoon, all went reasonably smoothly, and it went in dead level. All went reasonably smoothly until inevitably I hit a piece of rebar drilling one of the holes for the rag bolts and jammed the drill bit. A lot of wriggling, swearing, and finally beating the sh1t out of the poor old 10mm SDS bit I got it loose again. Why does it always happen at the point when a hole can't be drilled anywhere else?? :evil:
Just have to wait now for the timber for the lower shelf.

Wonderful to be able to hold work pieces without slipping, vibrating or turning. Now to get the rest of the place tidy and in more order. :roll:

JW
Life's a single timed run with no practice....
1970 914/6 2.4E/Webers
1970 VW Beetle project
1972 911 Hillclimber (now 3.5 litre on Management :shock: ) Part of the family for 39 years!
2006 Hymer Merc Starline 630
2000 T4 Van LPG
2000 Golf V5 Estate GT
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

I had a bit of a giddy moment last week while following this auction, and so had a cheeky bid, thinking that it would never get anywhere:-

https://www.handh.co.uk/auction/lot/67- ... 6&pn=1&g=1

And Lo! it was the top bid (at the low end of the estimate) and I am now the proud owner of a Velocette KSS into RS spring frame special!

Whatever have I done?
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso
911hillclimber

Post by 911hillclimber »

Made me green with envy!

Lovely project when you can get it. :)
73T 911 Coupe, road/hillclimber 3.2L
Lola t 492 / 3.2 hillclimb racer
Boxster 987 Gen II 2.9
Dougieboy1
I luv DDK!

Post by Dougieboy1 »

A modest effort compared to others on here......

Most importantly, Mrs D likes it and asked me:
1. Can i make it spin round - short of mounting a strut on the wall which seems excessive, i think i am going to ignore this
2. Would i make her another one for the stables - How many wheels does she think i have! Actually i have several but they are in sets of 4 - this Fuchs (replica rather than original!!) was an orphan that came effectively free with an Avon tyre......

I have something else on the go which in theory should be finished this weekend - the wood arrives today.... :cheers:

Andrew
1972 911S
1944 VW Schwimmwagen (originally a Porsche typ128, eventually VW166)
A bunch of other crap (according to my wife)
Kneeslider
DDK slapper chatter

Post by Kneeslider »

911hillclimber wrote:Made me green with envy!

Lovely project when you can get it. :)
In fact, I have already got it! H&H's preferred motorcycle moving company, Chas Mortimer, have still been working, under socially distanced conditions, and were able to deliver it to me. I've been compiling an inventory, and coming up with a first go at a parts wanted list (its quite big, but biggest bits are a pair of new wheel rims) from Grove Classics. I've just taken the inspection covers off the engine, and it looks rather good, turns over, and seems to have compression. First job is going to be getting the wheels built and cleaning everything up to try a dry build.
'65 356 SC
'91 Ducati 750/900ss mongrel
1963 Velocette Viper (mostly) with '39 KSS OHC engine
'05 997 C2
1954 FB Mondial 200 Extra Lusso